• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can a Flintlock pistol beat all the Caplock pistols to win the championship?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haven't looked but you could win even if I was shooting a scoped unmentionable!
give us the lowdown.
My new Caplock was giving me some trouble and used my Flintlock for both, Cap and Flint Championships. Winning the Revolver championship put me in the company of only 5 ever to win all 3 Championships since 1948...nsp .... https://www.nmlra.org/scores

way to go. if i were 30 years younger i would track you down and pay you for lessons.
I have several BP hand guns but never had much use for one.
Our Senior championship division is about as popular as our Open type championship division. Most winners are over 70. The Senior allows any sights and two hands hold as do some other matches...nsp

I'm building a .45 cal. flintlock pistol with fast twist rifling to shoot in competition &
also in the market for a .45 cal LePage flintlock by Pedersoli ,
if one of you has one to sell please PM me.

At 82 my competition days are likely well behind me but trying keeps me young 😂
Relic shooter

Not a High Master by by any means, but I do have a drawerfull of NMLRA pistol medallions. Never got classified in NMLRA, just NRA. And I also have a flintlock that can shoot 100s in the hands of a better shooter; age & arthritis has opened up my groups. I will admit that I always shot caplocks at the Territorials.

"Can a Flintlock pistol beat all the Caplock pistols to win the championship?"

It can, the rifle doesn't make all, and if the interface ground/weapon is bad nothing'll be good...

I'm no longer a good shooter; I'm too old for that now (77 years old and tired), but I would have answered you "Certainly" ten years ago...

Pennsylvania_02.png
MLAIC_Pennsylvania.png

Last edited:
At 82 with several health issues I'm also too old to seriously compete anymore.
In my younger days the Pedersoli Harpers Ferry flintlock pistol fit my hand well & won many matches after a few modifications.
I turned a fast twist ,54 cal barrel to match dimensions of the .58 cal barrel & inlet a rear sight into the tang & installed a very fast well tuned flintlock that came very close to fitting the Italian lock.
Note; The hammer angle on the Italian Harpers Ferry lock can be corrected by cutting a little out of the front of the hammer's bow & bending to correct angle into the pan & the tig welding the mod shut.
With some tuning, polishing & tweaking the factory HF lock can perform pretty well.

These days I compete mostly against myself & enjoy shooting original flint & percussion pistols.

Latest posts

Back