• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can anyone identify this emblem?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackNet

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This emblem I am not sure what is and was hoping someone here could ID it for me, thanks.

IMG_3066.JPG

Ed

Not sure, but to me it looks like the end of a cannon barrel with smoke/flame coming out. :hmm:

Actually it's the end of a trigger guard. It's a queen anne kit. Also that's a screw hole you see.
IMG_2989.JPG

Ed

It's called a stand or trophy of arms. This one is a pretty poor copy, so it's difficult to make out what's actually in it. There are battle flags and cannon barrels as far as I can make out. This is mainly an english motif.

that works. Wasn't sure what it was. Looked kinda like getting flipped off.

Dont suppose anyone has a photo of what it suppose to look like? I could always have it engraved to clean it up.

Ed

You usually see the "panoply of arms"/"spoils of war" on sideplates. I'll see if I can come up with something when I get home....

Der Fett' Deutscher said:
You usually see the "panoply of arms"/"spoils of war" on sideplates. I'll see if I can come up with something when I get home....
Sorta like this.
w3.jpg

Ed -

Mike Brooks gave you the right answer. According to the late Lynton McKenzie, these compositions represented captured enemy arms and battle paraphernalia, things like halberds, pikes, swords, drums, flags, cannons, bombs, arranged in an artistic pile.

These designs are frequently seen on 18th and 19th century non-military arms, such things as shotguns, stalking rifles, and dueling pistols.

Since they represent enemy arms, it is not unusual to see English shotguns with French fleurs-de-lis and French flags in the panoply. I am afraid there is not a standard pattern. Each composition depends on the imagination of the srtist.

Bill

Latest posts

Back