• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can I Shoot Out A Stuck Ball

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:eek:ff
An Ohio Valley style rifle. He is digging into its history.
Now that's interesting. I was born and spent the better part of my life in the Upper Ohio Valley. Would be really interested in hearing about this gun. There were many different gun builders in that area in the day. Great site if you don't already know about it is http://www.aolrc.org/.

Back on topic glad you got that stuck ball unstuck without any damage.

Last edited by a moderator:
If releasing the pressure was the cure....?.... didnt you already due that by removing the charge/nipple? And if it was drilled out, why from the breach end (which would have taken a longer bit than barrel end?) :idunno:

It isn't a long rifle. He said it was built by a competitor of the Hawken boys. But we just had a brief discussion, so I am sure I must have missed something.

The pressure, as I understand it was from too big a ball and patch stuck into too small an area. When he drilled a hole through the ball, it would have allowed the lead in the remaining ball to move away from the pressure. I do not know from which end he drilled the ball, as I was not there. There was no pressure behind the ball as the touch hole had been removed several times and as you must know, flintlocks to not have nipples. But even a nipple would not maintain pressure as there is a small hole in all that I have seen which would allow the pressure behind the ball to be release. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

If you look at that site they list a ton of builders from all over Ohio and examples (when available) of rifles built. Not all of the rifles are longrifles on there. There are quite a few Hawken style rifles also. It takes some time to sort through all the info on there I have to warn you.

wpjson said:
The pressure, as I understand it was from too big a ball and patch stuck into too small an area. When he drilled a hole through the ball, it would have allowed the lead in the remaining ball to move away from the pressure. I do not know from which end he drilled the ball, as I was not there. There was no pressure behind the ball as the touch hole had been removed several times and as you must know, flintlocks to not have nipples. But even a nipple would not maintain pressure as there is a small hole in all that I have seen which would allow the pressure behind the ball to be release. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

:redface:

I got the rifle back today and he had drilled a quarter inch hole through the ball. It was pretty much all gone. And he had the patch. He said it was just too thick and to use a .10 patch. Off subject, but I wish I could build a rifle like he can. But, that's life. I am fortunate enough that I can afford to shoot them and live in a place where the huting is good and the liv'in is easy.

I didn't see what your rifle is but most people here have found that a .490 diameter ball along with a .015-.-018 thick patch works well in their .50 calibers.

You can try the .010 thick patches and if your gun is one of the big factory guns like a Thompson Center, Traditions, CVA or a Lyman it might work fine.

All of these rifles have fairly shallow rifling grooves which will work with thin patches.

If your barrel has deep rifling grooves like the ones on Rice, Green Mountain, Getz, Oregon, Douglas, Rayl and others, be sure to check the condition of the shot patches.
Chances are good that the thin patches won't seal the rifling grooves.

If the patches don't seal well, the burning powder gas will blow past them, charring them to the point that they won't be able to grab the rifling.
Accuracy will go downhill rapidly if this happens.

As for the patch/ball combination being too tight, if the ball is made out of pure lead, it will deform when it's first started into the bore.

Almost always, after the patched ball is started, it will be fairly easy to push down the bore to the powder charge.

The only times I've known this not to be true is if the patch was not well lubed or the bore was badly fouled.

Even if the bore is badly fouled, if a wet patch is used, it will soften the fouling as it is pushed down the bore.

If the patch has no dampness at all like the "dry patches" some folks are using, it then becomes imperative that the bore be wiped after every shot.

That is why I refuse to use "dry patches" when I'm shooting my muzzleloaders.

Instead, I've found that Stumpkillers Moose Milk does an excellent job of providing lube and wiping the old fouling off of the bore as the next patched ball is rammed.

I'm not saying my way is the only way or the best way but it's working for me. :)

An old Dixie Gunworks catalog says the Pedersoli Frontier rifle has .005 deep rifling.

The .010 thick patch just might work fine.
The rifling diameter is .510.

If you use some .495 diameter balls with .010 thick patches the patch/ball will have an effective diameter of .495 + .010 + .010 = .515.

Have fun. :)

I really want to thank everyone for their input. Your knowledge is amazing, even when you disagree with each other, you seem to be able to back up your opinions. Thank you. again. :hatsoff:

yes you can. I have done it a few times. Ensure U have removed all powder. start with 5 grains of 4f. This is usually enough powder with the required energy to drive the ball out of your barrel. The ball usually just ploops out and lands a foot or so beyond the muzzle. There is not enough power in 5 grains of powder to do anything to your barrel. Just be very very sure that you have removed the entire main charge which U stated you have done. There are also other ways to get a ball out. Install a zerk fitting in your touch hole and use grease to push it out. Have not tried that one yet but it is suppose to work.

I did it once. Just a few greens. It went "pffft", and the ball came out, and landed about two yards from the muzzle. Yes it will work, and no, it is not dangerous (as long as it is a few grains).

You can do a lot of things "once".....and get away with it.

Doesn't mean it's a good idea.

You can play Russian roulette 5 times without harm, but I guarantee the sixth with ruin your day...

I was at a event last year and some one put a Minnie ball in their gun but no lube, you guess what happened.

Well a group of us were helping to get the ball out, my wife and a group of civil war cannoners decided to fire of a blank charge, but did not tell us. You could feel the ground shake as 8 men jumped, when we heard the bang. :shocked2:

Hazens Notch said:
I did it once. Just a few greens. It went "pffft", and the ball came out, and landed about two yards from the muzzle. Yes it will work, and no, it is not dangerous (as long as it is a few grains).

I agree.

I've "shot" many ( dry ) balls out of my gun. Just put some 3F powder thru the touch hole & a little 4F in the pan & fire away towards the ground. You can tell very quickly if you are successful.
This my not work for some, but has worked for me every time.

yardhunter said:
Hazens Notch said:

I agree.

I've "shot" many ( dry ) balls out of my gun. Just put some 3F powder thru the touch hole & a little 4F in the pan & fire away towards the ground. You can tell very quickly if you are successful.
This my not work for some, but has worked for me every time.
A "dry ball" and a "stuck ball" are two different things....
It is my understanding that the OP is talking about the later.....and not a "dry ball"

Back