• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can my knife be pc ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3 stinky dogs

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a knife that is very specal to me.It has gone with me evry where I have gone except for aabou a year it spent stuck in a tree after a hunt with my oldest son.(ill tell you later if you want).It is a plane jane schrade marked 498.Will this draw bad attention at events I should show up at or can I get away with alittle fudging here and there ? It would be like leaving one of the kids home if I couldent use it.

Once again, it depends on where you attend. Some places care and others do not.

If the event is jurried strictly they will probably not allow you to wear a questionable blade.

Fortunately, historically corect knives are relitively cheap and very functional.

Some places allow anything.

I saw a Randal Astronaughts Knife on a mountain man at the southeastern once. Nice knife, but out of place.

:front:

A thin leather covering will disguise a multitude of sins.
I used to carry a buck 120 with a laced cover on the handle and on the sheath which I could remove at home and replace at will. :crackup: :crackup: :m2c:

I was thinking about doing somthing like that but my knife has been glued together.I did some serches and have found a bunch of knives at affordible prices.I am looking for wiggle room in the 1790's to erley 1800's.I even got some spots for the other gear in my price range.I am verry excited and eager to get started.I just need to get rid of thees boring old smokeless things.

Since Shrade went out of business it is a collector's item now! A good excuse to buy another (and PC) knife! You can't have too many knives. If cash is a problem, look in antique/junk shops for old heavy bladed butcher knives, knock off the old wood scales and put new ones on using small pins intead of the big rivets--voila! a PC knife! I have found several perfect knives this way for under $10 apiece and a little elbow grease. Stick with the old carbon steel blades and stay away from the Old Hickory with the stamped-in grooves. I have found knives that look just like the blade dug up at Ticonderoga, which makes a great scalper. Hump-backed butcher knives can be ground or filed down to a flat top for PC looks.

on the inside back cover of "Backwoodsman Magazine" you will find a large selection of old knives for sale at very resonable prices. How did you come up with the name "Three Stinky Dogs"?

Well I have 3 dogs that just love to find dead animals or fresh piles of cow poo and roll all around in it.Sheep manure is there favorite.Any way a good frend of mine has little names for every one he knows.When he met my two new dog's he saw that they loved the poo and my 3 dogs are always with me so he saw fit to re name me 3 stinky dogs.

I was thinking about doing somthing like that but my knife has been glued together.I did some serches and have found a bunch of knives at affordible prices.I am looking for wiggle room in the 1790's to erley 1800's.I even got some spots for the other gear in my price range.

Try re-working the Old Hickory blades. With a little work on the grinder (careful not to burn the temper), some file-work and sandpaper, you can get a good, functional knife for little cost. The blades are carbon steel, hold a good edge, and are easy to sharpen (once the bevel is re-done a bit). I carry one myself, a re-worked 8-10 inch slicer.

Black Hand

:: Sounds just like my three Jack Russel Terrorists...I mean Terriers!
I dont know the family linnon on thees guy's but i do beleave that my oldest mutt is the illegetimet pup of a lost hound dog from when I lived in Tennessee.The other two I found wandering the streets here in houston.I am finding a spot in my persona for my dogs to.I have a bunch of slongin kitchen knifes.I gou 2 big ones i pointy butcher and one that is big but not pointy.Anybody have experiance with thees ?

It depends on the markings on the blades Stinky. German blades have been around since the Romans were running lose but you do not want blades with dead givaway dates or "stainless" stamped or etched into the surface.

Several years back I decided I wanted a new belt knife. I took great pains to forge what seemed the perfect blade. I ground it, shaped it installed buffalo horn scales and turned it over to my son so he could make a sheath for it.

"Looks like a French shiefs knife!" were the first words out of his mouth.

I took it home and carefully contoured a shallow clip to the blade. Never did get used to that knife. Every time I used it I kept seeing the galloping gormet chopping up onions!

:crackup:

jump over to

www.lanouvelle-france.com

On that site you can check out the shapes and handle styles used on the French knives. It will probably answer about 50 more questions you were about to ask too! (No insult ment,its just one of those sites filled with good stuff,)

Each colonial nation had its own distinctive style of knife that had evolved over the millinia. English, French, Dutch, German, Spanish were all slightly diferent even though called to do the same functions.

Some of the knives unearthed at Jamestown are strikingly similar to the butcher knives we still use today. It is the minute details that mark one as a beginner.

The old blades were thin and flexable
They were usually only half tang and thinned in the grip.
Grip pannels were attached with smaller pins

When these cheaply made national patterns were traded to the Indians they came to be called "scalpers". They were shipped by the hundreds of dozens into every area of the Americas.

:front:

here is the knife I wanted to be PC.Some one sed it may be a colectors item since scherade went out of business.I have had it for ever and it has alot of historey since I have hade it including the time it was "lost" cause my oldest son left it sticking in a tree in maydell texas for a year or so.I also slide it into a boot when I dont feel like carrieing a gun wich I find unfomfortable because I have no butt and my glock pulls my pants down and keeping it conceald means more misery in the summer.The knife just slides in the boot and disopears.any here it is.Hold on Im going to start an account with photo bucket.

Ghost
I would like to thank you for posting the www.lanouvelle-france.com site. I spent a couple of hours there last night and saw some really neat stuff.
I have even started making a copy of an early French clasp knife for my shot pouch.
Again thanks for sharing.

Regards, Dave

Try haunting your local Goodwill or Salvation Army or other thrift stores. Any old High-Carbon Butcher pattern should do you well, if they can still be found.

I can attest to the Goodwill store. I worked there once and I was lucky to see lots of good stuff come in -- I bought the two knives I'm showing there a long time ago. Actually, I have meant to make these into riflemen's knives. On knife A this will involve buying or making a simple guard and carving curved handles from either curly maple or cherry. I'll also use two small pins on the new handles. Knife B (we called this a hog knife back in Indiana) is more of a problem for a couple of reasons. One is that it is old with a crude, but functional handles. They're not great looking, but I kind of hate to take them off. Second, the clipped point doesn't really match older blades I've researched. What are your thoughts?
knives1.jpg

handle1.jpg

handle2.jpg

OB, if you take a Sharpie and profile the spine of the blade to what you want, then grind it you can make it any shape you'd like. Just be careful to keep it cool while grinding so you don't lose the temper.
Then, just soak it in Clorox, to patinate it. Hope this helps...Bud

here is a photo that includes a knife I 'made' by rehandling an old butcher--the blade is the same as one dug up at Ft Ticonderoga....I have also rehandled old french kitchen knives and big butchers. It is simple to knock off the old scales and replace them with new wood and small pins rather than the big rivets (notPC).
Hawk_Horn.jpg

There are a couple of ways to do this....On the one pictured above I used the same (big) holes in the tang, but filled them in with epoxy (I know, not pc). The new pins were made from cut down iron nails. On others I have drilled new holes. Some of the old knives handles were held on with six or more small pins--which requires drilling holes.

Do you drill new holes for the small pins?

Back