• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

can powder stay in the barrel?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Semisane said:
I leave loads in clean barrels throughout the hunting season, and sometimes for months.

I always flag a loaded gun before putting it in the truck, camp, or closet. [/b].

35674633943_76a612d524_c.jpg

That's a particularly good idea for those of us that keep "nightstand guns" in the house, though I'm guessing that relatively few of those need a ram rod to load them.

Could you please show a closeup of your site setup on your rifle. there are people out here that might like your sights. fox

Feltwad said:
To me no gun should be left loaded it is against all safety rules, little is gained by leaving it like that and just asking for something too happen

Different strokes for different folks Feltwad. Yes, I'm just asking for something to happen. That something is the gun will go bang when I cock the hammer and pull the trigger. :wink:

silverfox said:
Could you please show a closeup of your site setup on your rifle. there are people out here that might like your sights. fox

Sorry Silverfox. I no longer have that particular gun, though the sight was a dandy and I wish I had kept the sight when I sold the gun. It's nothing more than a strip of "springy" steel about eight inches long and 3/8" wide, with one end turned up and drilled & tapped for a peep disc. It's attached to the barrel with two screws, the third screw provides vertical adjustment. There's no horizontal adjustment, though it could easily be fabricated with a horizontal slot instead of a threaded hole for the disc, allowing it to be moved from side to side.

The best I can do is try an enlargement of that section of the picture I had in my photo folder.

It came out kind of fuzzy, and the angle is the same, but it might help.

35656389484_5bca6f180c_b.jpg

Thank you so much for the great advice. I will try this info. and it would be nice if I could leave my flinter loaded until the season is over.

72 Cal. said:
Thank you so much for the great advice. I will try this info. and it would be nice if I could leave my flinter loaded until the season is over.
You'll notice a number of fella's put a quill in the touch hole. Prevents the powder from getting moisture from the air.
Now when you take a gun inside then outside and back inside again there can be condensation issues arise if the air is particular humid. Cold barrel, warm air ...
I got a nice big locking garage and we live in the country so I leave my rifle out there when I am back and forth from the hunt to back to the house.

Age 17 first bull tag. Buddys dad game warden and put us on a huge 7 pt. Camped in is bedroom. Loaded .50 TC hawking nite before and left in tent. Stepped 35 yds outside tent and shot bull.....NOT :shocked2: I believe thats the first FTF I ever had while hunting. After decades of FTF I now load 1/2 a load day of hunt and fire n a tree, swab load and hunt. At night I fire load in a tree, clean gun and repeat. Lotta work but I wont be tellin ya bout a 7 pt bull at 60 yds that trotted off amused no mo! NO MO

Ah, remember that like me, Feltwad lives in the UK, where it is an offence to leave a gun lying around loaded.

In fact, it's an offence to leave any gun lying around, period.

They ALL have to be locked away in their secure accommodations when not in use or being cleaned after being used.

You guys with your racks of guns on the living room or garage walls would give the authorities here instant meltdown.

tac

tac said:
Ah, remember that like me, Feltwad lives in the UK, where it is an offence to leave a gun lying around loaded.

They ALL have to be locked away in their secure accommodations when not in use or being cleaned after being used.

You guys with your racks of guns on the living room or garage walls would give the authorities here instant meltdown.

tac
Here Here
Feltwad

tac said:

tac

You're right tac, I did forget the geographical/political situation. To quote Mr. Trump - "Sad". :v

Cynthialee said:
Well that certainly changes things. Then you need to unload, clean then secure the firearm every time.

Here you can't leave the range with ANY kind of loaded gun - the RCO has to check every firearm out before anybody can move forwards to examine a target, or for a shooter to leave the range.

Leaving a gun loaded after shooting in the countryside - shotgun or rifle, or even airgun - is not only stupidly dangerous here in UK, but also illegal. Being found with a loaded firearm in your possession is a criminal offence in UK. Add to that that here we don't use flintlocks, or percussion guns, for that matter, to hunt anything except game birds [and that's rare, to say the least, although no doubt Feltwad does it] since none of them meet the m/e or m/v criteria laid down by law for shooting terrestrial game.

tac

It sounds like it would be illegal to use a gun for self defense purposes in the UK as well, loaded or not.

Seems like Britsmoothy does an admirable job of going walk about and dusting off furry little critters in addition to the feathered kind all the time.
I'm sure his firearms are loaded while he is doing this. :hmm:

Col. Batguano said:
It sounds like it would be illegal to use a gun for self defense purposes in the UK as well, loaded or not.

It is.

Unless you are one of the 3000 or so people living in Northern Ireland who have actually been issued with a CCW for personal safety.

tac

Since you mentioned it, I have more than one loaded gun and they are stashed at strategic locations. The black powder ones that stay loaded are secured in my humidity controlled gun room. These, however, are only loaded during the hunting seasons.

As about everything in life common sense is always necessary. My feeling is that if one has a specific reason for having a loaded gun and one practices good safety precautions that's OK. Leaving guns loaded at random is an accident waiting to happen- not necessarily because of the owner's actions but because other people who get access to the guns get into trouble. The world is full of people who act stupidly, irresponsibly, or who just don't know what they are doing and like it or not, we gun owners will be held responsible for their actions with our loaded gun. As unfair as it may be, liability is a fact of life for all gun owners. OG

Back