• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Can you help me identify this rifle? (need advice too)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottprice

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently bought this CVA flintlock, anyone have any experience with it?

My new CVA

Gorgeous gun, seems to be well made...But im having trouble shooting it. Groups are scattered. My Lyman Deerstalker had different sights on it and i was shooting clovers with that.....my new CVA has a very narrow blade on the front and a shallow notched rear. I do have trouble focusing on the tiny blade out front (evenat 22yrs old haha) so part of me thinks that may have something to do with it....

any suggestions?

My new CVA is a CVA Mountain Rifle...i guess the purpose of this thread is solely for shooting tips/sight options now....

Your Mountain Rifle should be quite accurate.
Some people say it is the best rifle ever made by CVA but over the years they have issued the gun several times and usually they are speaking of the early ones that have "Made in USA" stamped on the barrel.

You do have to be able to see the front sight clearly to shoot well and different people like different sights.

I would rather have the narrow front sight myself.

If your having problems seeing it you might want to stop at a drug store or a Dollar store to pick up some very weak 'reading glasses'.

If these are very weak, they can sharpen up things visually that are 3-5 feet away without totally messing up things that are more distant.

At the Dollar Store they usually cost a buck and although their style leaves a bit to want, they will work for a lot of people.

Besides, who in their right mind would laugh at the glasses a guy with a gun in his hand is wearing? :grin:

great info Zonie. Ill have to check the barrel when i get home to see if it has the made in USA stamp

There is no law against changing the sights. Get a "fatter" front sight and a deep notched rear.

I am not a HC/PC guy, to say the least, but even I would take pause about a globe front sight on a flintlock! :hmm: But it's your gun and you have to do what you think best. :wink:

im not familiar with them at all, but on TOW they have globes listed in the front sight section....

I am sure they do and I am sure they can fix you up with one. If you think it will help, try it. You can always try something else if it doesn't help. :thumbsup:

In bright light it helps to blacken the back of that sight. I keep a sharpie in my bag for that. If it clouds up, wipe the marker off to brighten the sight again. If its vision, the reading glasses might help. I have gotten to the point where I am used to the blurry front sight and I just incorporate that into my overall sight picture. Its when you see two of them that it gets a little tuff.

A globe sight usually is either a small round ball or a small circle on the front and a peep on the rear. The combo is very accurate and many match shooters use them. Not very good for hunting but like everything else, they can work but not the best. They are not considered "open sights" either. A brass or sliver front blade sight can work but when sighted in just the right direction can really shine and make it almost impossible to get a good sight picture. Mainly if the sun is behind you it can hard to get a good sight picture.

Latest posts

Back