• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

canadian shipping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom hargrove

45 Cal.
Reaction score
is there any rules or regs, pretaining to shipping flintlock rifles to canada :confused: from the U.S.A
by this i mean if i sell a flinter to someone in canada can i ship it direct to them ? :thumbsup:

Yes you can, just be sure to mark the customs slip. I sold one to a fella and took the barrel amd lock off and packed them in with the stock and marked it Antigue, replica, flintlock muzzleloader parts. There was no problem. Just be sure to package it good because it seems there customs agents like to really tear things up checking it out. And insure it good.

Not a problem 2Bellies,I bought mine from Lyman a couple of years ago and it came right to my Post Office.Like Rebel said,Just make sure it's marked
accuratly and you should have no problems.
Here's a tip,Maybe if your unsure how it will make out in the mail,Maybe,Just for practice,If you want you could send me a Flintlock,Any Flintlock will do and I'll be glad to make the trip to the post office to pick it up.... :winking:

two-bellys said:
sir; i must commend you on such an unselfish offer :shake: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Just trying to do my part to make the world a better place... :grin:

Don't mark the package TOO accurately. DO NOT use the words "gun", "firearm", "rifle", "military", or any other red-flag word on your customs declaration form. Just put something vague like "flintlock", "reproduction antique", "machined goods" or the reliable, inscrutable catch-all "gift". "Merchandise" is a great word that accurately reflects the nature of your shipment without giving a clue as to what is actually inside the box. You could pack a baby seal full of cocaine and send it airmail and nobody would bat an eye as long as you labelled it "merchandise". "Used goods" is another great bit of deliberate obfuscation that will not get you in any trouble if they open the box (as long as the goods are actually second-hand). I ordered a Traditions Pennsylavania .50 cal flinter from a guy in Minnesota and he put "antique firearm" on the label and it didn't get through, but I have ordered all sorts of stuff from TOTW and it gets up to me no prob because they know how to fill out the forms. I ordered a pistol barrel from them and they declared it as "steel tube", bullets were "castings", etc. I forget how they declared the fully assembled rifle they sent me (complete with flint in cock) but the phrase they used was accurate enough that the threshold of verisimilitude was met, but not so accurate that any busy-bodies at customs or the post office were so aroused as to deny shipment :blah: .

In Canada flintlock rifles are exempt from gov. regs.
Shipping: Identify your "PARTS" as " Machined Metal Parts " and " Wood Carving " advise your customer as such, and all will arrive ok.
Been there, done that, bought the ticket, all that stuff.
The minute you mention that ugly word "GUN" you're toast!

Best Regards

Old Ford

I send muzzleloaders across the border several times a year. I use the US Post Office, the forms are simple and easy. I never lie about what is in the box. I mark them "flintlock muzzleloader". If you sell a fellow a $3,000.00 gun and mark the package as a gift then you are asking for trouble. The guys (and gals) at the border are not stupid. If you ship a barrel marked as a "tube" your package might come up missing or be returned as undeliverable. Don't try to BS the customs people. It irritates them. Also, if there are other things in the box like accoutrements or accesories be sure to list them or they might dissapear. I know this from experience. Never list "firearm, gun, bullets". These are red flag items and will surely come under undue scrutiny.

LaffinDog

MikeFromON said:
Don't mark the package TOO accurately. DO NOT use the words "gun", "firearm", "rifle", "military", or any other red-flag word on your customs declaration form. Just put something vague like "flintlock", "reproduction antique", "machined goods" or the reliable, inscrutable catch-all "gift". "Merchandise" is a great word that accurately reflects the nature of your shipment without giving a clue as to what is actually inside the box. You could pack a baby seal full of cocaine and send it airmail and nobody would bat an eye as long as you labelled it "merchandise". "Used goods" is another great bit of deliberate obfuscation that will not get you in any trouble if they open the box (as long as the goods are actually second-hand). I ordered a Traditions Pennsylavania .50 cal flinter from a guy in Minnesota and he put "antique firearm" on the label and it didn't get through, but I have ordered all sorts of stuff from TOTW and it gets up to me no prob because they know how to fill out the forms. I ordered a pistol barrel from them and they declared it as "steel tube", bullets were "castings", etc. I forget how they declared the fully assembled rifle they sent me (complete with flint in cock) but the phrase they used was accurate enough that the threshold of verisimilitude was met, but not so accurate that any busy-bodies at customs or the post office were so aroused as to deny shipment :blah: .

I guess your right I bought a spare Flintlock from L&R and it was labeled Lock and Hasp.I thought it was funny but I did ship a muzzleloader to T/C labeled as exactly to what it was and it returned labeled the same without a problem.However If you sell it to someone in cANADA label it as a gift or he will have to pay Duty/Taxes on what you say it's worth.It's quite a hassel.

Latest posts

Back