• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Candle making

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt B

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was able to get a great deal on some bees wax and tried my hand at candle making this weekend. I used a six candle mold. Just wondered how many of you make your own? Good thing my wife was out of town, I made a little bit of a mess.

Any tricks anyone could pass on?

Things I was told:
1. mix parafinn in to slow the burn rate.
2. after cooling, place in freezer. then hot water they will drop out. worked pretty well.

Don't want to post pics of the mess. She may have net access........ :grin: :wink:

Plus she has the camera..... :cursing: :confused:

I was coating the inside of the mold with vegetable oil to ease removal, but got some sputtering in the flame. I also made a wire holder to keep the wick centered over the mold.

The cooling seemed to cause a lot of drawback of the wax. But then, I used pure beeswax.

CS

Hi Matt,

I make my own beeswax and regular wax tapers from molds and have made a few pillar candles too. One of the most important things is to get a thermometer and use it religiously. You can get the "candle thermometers at places like JoAnn's Fabrics, Michael's, AC Moore, etc. Or, you can go to those places to see the suggested temperatures and buy a candy thermometer for ¼ the price instead.

One thing I always add with regular paraffin is stearic acid. This makes the candle a bit more opaque, but most importantly makes it harder and slower burning. I made up a dozen of the beeswax candles and they burn pretty long and smell great, but really puddle around the bottom of my lantern. Think I will try to add some stearic acid to the beeswax next time to see if that helps.

Here's the biggest tip if you are not already doing it. Spread out newspaper all over the counters you will be using to do your pouring. It will save you from an encounter the wife's wrath and is easy to gather up and throw away.

Another thing you might find handy is that if your candles stick in the form and don't come out after being put in the refrigerator for half an hour to an hour, use a hair dryer to help loosen them. Do it slowly because there's not much time between "just enough to get them to pop out" and "oops, too much heat and I have a little river of wax on the counter.

One more tip: you can make the seam on the side of the candle disappear by rubbing a heated knife on it.

Hope this helps,

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips! I'll have to pass them along to my brother. When he found out I was making some candles he got his mold out as well.

Do you have any good sources for wick? I did find some at Michaels. Thanks.

Matt B said:
Thanks for the tips! I'll have to pass them along to my brother. When he found out I was making some candles he got his mold out as well.

Do you have any good sources for wick? I did find some at Michaels. Thanks.

Yeah, I found some at a JoAnn's Fabrics that is closing, and got a 100-yd. spool of the small flat wicking for $10. It's usually $20 for that much. They also carry small pre-packs of it and that's what I used to buy.

By the way, the heated knife I use to melt the seam on the molded tapers is just a heated butter knife.

Twisted_1in66 :thumbsup:

Back