• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canned WHAT???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doverdog

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know we all like to consider ourselves the modern equivilent of a Mt. Man, and will eat anything that doesn't eat us first. Here is something I have never even heard of let alone tried. I found it at a local grocery store that deals in dented, overstocks, and almost out of date items. As you can see from the label, it is a prduct of the Ukraine. This must have come from a bigger city that has stores dealing in specialty and ethnic food items. It sure isn't a popular item in NW Pennsylvania. At only $.50 a can, why not? I am going to wait until closer to time to feed the dog before I open the can for a taste. A product evaluation will follow. :D

cancarp.jpg

I know we all like to consider ourselves the modern equivilent of a Mt. Man, and will eat anything that doesn't eat us first. Here is something I have never even heard of let alone tried. I found it at a local grocery store that deals in dented, overstocks, and almost out of date items. As you can see from the label, it is a prduct of the Ukraine. This must have come from a bigger city that has stores dealing in specialty and ethnic food items. It sure isn't a popular item in NW Pennsylvania. At only $.50 a can, why not? I am going to wait until closer to time to feed the dog before I open the can for a taste. A product evaluation will follow. :D

cancarp.jpg

You'd do that to yer dog??? :crackup: :crackup:

I am going to wait until closer to time to feed the dog before I open the can for a taste. A product evaluation will follow.

I've seen this at the local multi-ethnic grocery. Tried it once on a bet. Tastes like:
cancarp2.jpg

Not even the dog would eat it.

vic

Ok, sumthin' FISHY goin' on here. :crackup: Would think it would be sorta, kinda, sumthin' like Tuna in tomato sauce. Probably just tastes like Chicken. ::

The sad thing is that I can pronounce ALL of the
ingredients listed on the can!! :: YA think they'd add some of stuff our food manufactures use to at least make it taste like chicken!!! :hmm: :crackup: :crackup:

Ok, sumthin' FISHY goin' on here. :crackup: Would think it would be sorta, kinda, sumthin' like Tuna in tomato sauce. Probably just tastes like Chicken. ::

Ah et some chicken once thet tasted like "tuna in tomato sauce",.... and it made me "sicker'n a dawg"!! :m2c:

YMHS
rollingb

Haven't tried it from a can (or in 'mater sauce), but smoked carp is really good -sucker too.

There's carp, and then there's carp. We used to have a local DJ that hosted an annual summertime "Carpy Derby" (as a jibe at our much larger local Crappie Derby ~an ice fishing event. "Crappie" by the way, is known elsewhere as paper mouth, calico bass and 53 other names). We get some monster carp in the Susquehanna and Chenango Rivers (I live about 100 ft from the Chenango).

The recipie contests were usually sampled on a "dare you" basis. Deep fried, poached, marinated. All have pasty texture and damp newspaper taste. Pickled was as close to edible as I ever sampled. Smoked tasted like smoked, soggy cardboard and BBQ tasted like barbequed, soggy cardboard. Pickled it tastes like two year old egg salad that's past the runny stage and into the hardening stage. But the texture was at least less "snotlike" than the smoked or BBQ.

I fish for them with little 1-1/2", 1/16 oz jigs with UL spin tackle and nymph flies with flyrods. Poor man's bonefish. Landing a 20 lb carp with 4# test line is a real test of drag management. Occasionally, I hook into one I cannot turn or even slow down. I've seen some I estimate are over 5 ft long.

I suppose there are worse things to eat. I just can't recall sampling anything that fits.

I fish for them with little 1-1/2", 1/16 oz jigs with UL spin tackle and nymph flies with flyrods. Poor man's bonefish. Landing a 20 lb carp with 4# test line is a real test of drag management. Occasionally, I hook into one I cannot turn or even slow down. I've seen some I estimate are over 5 ft long.

I fish for them with a green fiberglass 55# Ben Pearson. Haven't gone since my youth. Hope to get back into it this spring. All the smoked carp I've tried was commercially smoked and was very good. I hope to get a chance to try myself in a month or two. Still haven't decided on a recipe, though.

I just responded to a query on a bow hunting site asking what to do with carp. Ya'll can say what ya want but until you've had canned carp you don't know what's good. Back when I gigged a lot we'd put up as much as I could gig over the winter. It's better than any salmon or mackeral you'll put in your mouth, at least to my taste buds. Smoked isn't bad but I much prefer canned. The wife makes what are like salmon patties with it and it's deliscious.

Vic

I am going to wait until closer to time to feed the dog before I open the can for a taste. A product evaluation will follow.

I've seen this at the local multi-ethnic grocery. Tried it once on a bet. Tastes like:
cancarp2.jpg

Not even the dog would eat it.

vic

Come on!! Yer killin'me :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

Superflint best thing I can suggest to you is to use it for the next coon set you make for trapping . And even then I'm not sure ya will catch a coon. :shake:

Woody

I just responded to a query on a bow hunting site asking what to do with carp.
Vic
The annual carp derby here 'bouts uses them for fertilizer.
Where I live I see alot of Ukrainians and other E. European immigrants came up from NYC to fish for them. To them it is a great fish. I won't eat 'em, but I won't touch the stinkin' salmon in the fall either.

Reminds me of typos in newspapers. Our local once had a headline about building a new dock. Except some genious substituted an "i" for the "o" right there on the front page. At least they weren't talking about erecting a new dock.

Almost everyone else in the world eats carp and likes 'em. Silver carp is one of the favorites, along with grass carp. I ate a lot of it while working in China, and when the cook knows what's up, it's as good as almost any other fish you can name. Canned would have the advantage of softening the bones, same as the shad we used to smoke and can at home. Of course, I might throw that can away before I served it to anyone!

Yep, the Cantonese Chinese can cook alright. Even the miserable or humble carp is delicious when prepared by the Cantonese. But I like salmon or trout better. :m2c:

All right...but what does chicken taste like? :hmm:

I used to eat Spanish Mackerel down in Florida. Most folks considered them "garbage" fish and fed 'em to their cats or just tossed 'em back. Everyone claimed they were oily and fishy. I had a friend who was the most vociferous of the anti-mackerellers (it's a word!...look it up!) over for dinner one night and didn't tell him what we were having. I bet you know what it was. MACKEREL!!! He kept raving about it all during dinner and trying to guess what it was. When I took him out back and showed him the carcasses, he all but called me a liar. A couple weeks later we went fishing and he saw the fish go from the water all the way to the oven and became a believer. Proof that almost any fish can be made palatable. Only exception I've run into...tarpon. :no: (Do we have a "retching" emoticon?)

Live ones are available in fish stores in the
Jewish and the Chinese neighbourhood . They are
kept in large tanks , same way as the live lobsters
in other fish stores.

Back