• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

canoe cup – noggin

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pc.knife

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I managed to finish a new mug

Size 13x8, 3 cm, height 3.7 cm,
Maple Burl, boiled in brine and colored brew with coffee and tea
oiled with linseed oil and waxed on the outside,
leather strap

50.1.jpg

50.2.jpg

Flint311
My English is poor and I do not understand your question ... If you ask them to try to raise it in other words

BillinOregon
Cooking in brine protects the wood from cracking during subsequent use
I use this knife, in Poland it is called "knife spoon"

noggin.14.jpg

Your English is fine...better than many people I run into around here. I was referring to the little black dots with circles around them-look like "eyes" in a sense. They supposedly come from diseased wood at some time. Congrats, it looks great! Nice "spoon knife" too!

I've been writing about noggins over in the Accoutrements page, having run across a post there on a noggin google search. I've been making noggins for several years, so it is fun to check in from time to time to see what others are up to with them. That's a lovely bit of burl, pc.knife.

Here's a link to some of mine: http://treen.wikispaces.com/

Interesting to learn of brine as a way to deal with cracking. A greenwood bowl carver taught me a method where you keep the wood moisture up while carving, then slather on mineral oil as it dries to take the place of the water.

Last edited by a moderator:
krandall50 said:
A greenwood bowl carver taught me a method where you keep the wood moisture up while carving, then slather on mineral oil as it dries to take the place of the water.

Oil is applied to the cold or hot?

my good woman ever sees that flur-di-lis n I;m in trouble hehehe very nice carving,

Right out of the bottle. For the final coat, I melt beeswax and mix that with equal parts oil. That gets rubbed in while still warm enough to spread.

Thanks for the kind comments. Making them is fun!

Latest posts

Back