• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Canoe Gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you but I got to know how to improve... Ya can't hurt my feelings...Seriously... Gtrubicon thanks for your reply. I like making everything I can for a gun or anything else for that matter.
No seriously , it looks really good bud , I wish my first dozen looked that good . It'd just be not picking stuff I would suggest ....and I'm looking on a tiny dollar store phone so can't see the pics terribly well .... Watch your center lines , mark them and stay on them ....the trigger guard is off slightly , take your side plate and lock mortices edges down as much as possible , take your stock down thin as possible ... You trigger ...you can heat it and bend it back a bit , they should be centered at most but great if just st slightly rear of center ....take out and slop in trigger ( noise issue ) ... The gun looks great !! Enjoy bud !!

I agree it's a great looking and I bet shooting gun. The only thing that might bother me is the sharp corners of the butt plate and butt at the top. However that might just be in the picture and not in real life. I'm partial to rounded corners as when I mount a gun in haste, I would probably stab my jaw with the corner.

Rob and bpd303 thanks for your pointers. Will tweak that trigger guard. Not sure what your saying about the lock and side plate edges. Having a brain dead moment...

Rob and bpd303 thanks for your pointers. Will tweak that trigger guard. Not sure what your saying about the lock and side plate edges. Having a brain dead moment...
Oh , dont mess with the trigger guard , ain't much you can do with it now , you just try to get them centered , it dont always work out , no biggy . On the lock and side plate mortices , you just try to take off as much as possible , the originals are incredibly thin around the lock ...see if I can find a pic ...its just little stuff . Your gun looks great bud ! I love it !

Mike ....here's a good example . Original in black and white , my build in color ... S.P. side ....I even like the NW gun I built BUT I left too much meat ( wood) on the side plate mortice , the edges should be closer to the side plate ... I Should a took more wood off ,not so bad on the bottom.but top , should have taken off more wood ...

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1675655907248.jpg
    FB_IMG_1675655907248.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1705589463253.jpg
    FB_IMG_1705589463253.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0
One of mine , and an original .... I didnt do TOO bad but at the front of the lock , around frizzen spring esp. , I left too much wood ....should a took more off around the plate around the front there ... The originals had very thin lines of wood left around the locks . The builds with big old borders of wood around the lock are signs of a new builder ... Its funny too . I'll take it all down , it looks good ...then I'll finish the gun , look at it again and be like " SHIP !!! There's too much wood around the lock !!" LOL !! Just one of those things ....

Attachments

• 236650-IMG-20230716-121413 (1).jpg
    236650-IMG-20230716-121413 (1).jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • FB_IMG_1688138181061.jpg
    FB_IMG_1688138181061.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back