• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

canoe guns, blanket guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about we just leave each other alone and act like adults for once! Mike sounds like a Dennis the Menace cartoon from years back where Dennis was inviting some kid to step to the street because the kid said he had no manners! If you wish to present a clip or any primary evidense as to what "canoe guns" actually were or were not, please do so. Until then, your opinions are just that and worth exactly the same as any other person's here.

Runner said:
How about we just leave each other alone and act like adults for once! Mike sounds like a Dennis the Menace cartoon from years back where Dennis was inviting some kid to step to the street because the kid said he had no manners! If you wish to present a clip or any primary evidense as to what "canoe guns" actually were or were not, please do so. Until then, your opinions are just that and worth exactly the same as any other person's here.
I balance my opinions with 30 years of study on 18th century fire arms, not 20th century myth and outdated references. If you guys want to believe a bunch of rubbish it's fine with me. I'll keep my mouth closed and my "opinions" to my self in the future. :blah:

Mike Brooks said:
Runner said:
I balance my opinions with 30 years of study on 18th century fire arms, not 20th century myth and outdated references. If you guys want to believe a bunch of rubbish it's fine with me. I'll keep my mouth closed and my "opinions" to my self in the future. :blah:

Please don't. I appreciate your additions to this board.

Sean

If you want to post some citation that supports your opinion gathered from your so called years of study, then do so. I for one really appreciate it when you do. It is the, "I am Mike Brooks, so you have to listen to me", crud that causes problems.
How about acting like an adult and supporting what you say with more than I am MB?

Runner said:
If you want to post some citation that supports your opinion gathered from your so called years of study, then do so. I for one really appreciate it when you do. It is the, "I am Mike Brooks, so you have to listen to me", crud that causes problems.
How about acting like an adult and supporting what you say with more than I am MB?

That's pretty funny, Runner. Have you actually been reading Mike's posts on this board?

Sean

Runner said:
I don't have time to stack several hundred books around the computer for resource material and then look up the documentation to answer insignificant questions by complete unknowns in cyberspace. If you care what the real truth is I challenge you to go spend several thousand on a library and look up the documentation yourself instead of depending on me for the answers that you get for free from the former generosity of my soul.. :slap:

Mike,
The reality is that people don't want to look it up themselves. They prefer to ask the question, and then be spoon-fed the answers by people who have done the work. I can't count the number of questions that have been asked that could have easily been answered by spending 15 minutes with a book or even the internet (which I view as a starting point, and never as a definitive source).....
Albert

Mike Brooks said:
Runner said:
I don't have time to stack several hundred books around the computer for resource material and then look up the documentation to answer insignificant questions by complete unknowns in cyberspace. If you care what the real truth is I challenge you to go spend several thousand on a library and look up the documentation yourself instead of depending on me for the answers that you get for free from the former generosity of my soul.. :slap:

Mike: the biggest share of the members here do appreciate your research and years of knowledge on this forum. Verbally insulting those of us who do the research and destroying threads seems to be his favorite pass time. I, for one, hope you will keep up the good work. :hatsoff: I salute ya, sir!

"Mike: the biggest share of the members here do appreciate your research and years of knowledge on this forum'

Most feel this way about Mike and several others who have shared docums and knowledge off the cuff, this forum would be a vacuum with out several of those with considerable research behind them, and there are some who just like to type...I suspect it does not take even the neophyte long to tell the difference.

Who did I verbally insult? You want my address?
Claude, once again this troll seems to get his kicks following me around the board telling lies? Why is it that he is allowed to break all of the forum rules?
Mike, if I have to worship at the Mike Brooks alter to talk to you, I never wanted to talk to you in the first place. Your opinion is worth about half of the opinion of one of the newcomers here! You don't get more important over the years. You become less important. So why is it you think you are in charge today? When you get over the I am an Important person BS, maybe we can have a civilized discussion where you actually back up your opinion. This thread is not one of those yet!
So far you have told people they need to read. Then tried to say they need to read material you agree with. If we all read material you agree with written by your buddies, we might all agree. Of course, history would get hosed doing so. So now that you have shown your great expertise, how about you document why there were no "canoe guns" way back when? So far all you have done is sling opinions, insults, and BS, in this discussion.

For myself research on firearms is a part of this hobby that I dearly love. One of the wonderful things about this forum is the sharing of information. I have been able to add a number of books to my collection because of information given on the forum which I have really enjoyed. I have been looking for references to cut down trade guns. Now other then hearing about the trade gun in the Fur Trade Museum and the reference to native American women sneaking arms into the fort, I have not been able to find anything. Can anybody tell me if there are any books out there that I might be able to obtain that would have references to these cut down trade guns that today are called canoe guns and blanket guns?

Runner said:
Claude, once again this troll seems to get his kicks following me around the board telling lies? Why is it that he is allowed to break all of the forum rules?
Mike, if I have to worship at the Mike Brooks alter to talk to you, I never wanted to talk to you in the first place. Your opinion is worth about half of the opinion of one of the newcomers here! You don't get more important over the years. You become less important. So why is it you think you are in charge today? When you get over the I am an Important person BS, maybe we can have a civilized discussion where you actually back up your opinion. This thread is not one of those yet!
So far you have told people they need to read. Then tried to say they need to read material you agree with. If we all read material you agree with written by your buddies, we might all agree. Of course, history would get hosed doing so. So now that you have shown your great expertise, how about you document why there were no "canoe guns" way back when? So far all you have done is sling opinions, insults, and BS, in this discussion.
What in the hell is your problem? :youcrazy:

Claude has asked that I not discuss personal issues with you in public. If you want an answer to that question, the ask it in a PM. You ask first so you can't whine and lie about me bothering you later.

Runner said:
Claude has asked that I not discuss personal issues with you in public. If you want an answer to that question, the ask it in a PM. You ask first so you can't whine and lie about me bothering you later.
You definitely have some issues bud :surrender: I don't haver the slightest idea who you are nor do I care. To me your just some anonymous guy on the internet that likes to argue and feels intimated by any one that has some knowledge about 18th century guns. I have no desire for any contact from you in private or otherwise, I prefer you just disappear all together.
I'm betting you have a "canoe gun" and this is what has your underwear all bunched up.

chuckpa said:
For myself research on firearms is a part of this hobby that I dearly love. One of the wonderful things about this forum is the sharing of information. I have been able to add a number of books to my collection because of information given on the forum which I have really enjoyed. I have been looking for references to cut down trade guns. Now other then hearing about the trade gun in the Fur Trade Museum and the reference to native American women sneaking arms into the fort, I have not been able to find anything. Can anybody tell me if there are any books out there that I might be able to obtain that would have references to these cut down trade guns that today are called canoe guns and blanket guns?

I have yet to see any such documentation and feel that guns cut down drastically are abberations and extreme rarities.I'm familiar with the cut down gun illustrated by Hansen in "Northwest Guns" and a friend sent me a picture last year. of another he found in a gun show in Pennsylvania.These guns do exist but are extremely rare and are much more likely to be found in the West than in the Eastern woodlands.They were cut down by an owner and consequently will be illustrated omce in a while.

There were no cut back ranger guns as a type but occur occasionally as soldiers cut them back to correct a problem with the gun such as a burst barrel or a muzzle end made sharp by repeated use of a steel rammer.I have an old French gun with an uneven muzzle end brought about in just such a fashion.There were no Bess trade guns because Indians preferred light weight guns and would not have traded for a gun weighing 9-10 lbs.

As to the oft told tale about the "blanket guns" at Ft. Detroit,it is my understanding that reliable sources mentioned "weapons" hidden inside the womens' blankets without specifying the type of weapons and it is conceivable that tomahawks rather than guns were concealed under the blankets.

As to "officers' fusils with relatively short {37" +/-}, it should be noted that officers purchased their own weapons privately and thus the specifications of the fusil including barrel length depended upon the individual officer's taste.Bailey shows some issue short barreled guns but it is doubtful whether they got to America.

I hope this helps to clear away the cobwebs.
Tom Patton

Runner said:

I consider all the members to be my friends. You cannot talk to my friends this way and remain here.

Runner is no longer a member of this Forum.

Back