• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CANTEEN QUESTION

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:v Being Native,I don't use a canteen but when I was doing CW as a medical dept.officer, I used first a WW I{II}British canteen {left over from 18th century white man} with the glass liner. It was a dead ringer for an 18th century kidney canteen especially when covered with wool and hung with a cotton cord. Later when the stainless steel bullseye type came out I got one and covered it with blue wool{I did both U.S. and C.S.}.Wood canteens can be a pain as to leakage. The best wood is probably cedar and they should be kept full.I have had a cedar bucket for about 20 years and never keep it with water in it. I just fill it up and it will swell. I also have two 18th century style tankards out of cedar and they will leak if not in regular use.There are two old time remedies for leakage. One is to put some corn meal in the item before adding water and as the water drains out the corn meal will go with it acting as a seal until the item stops leaking, not foolproof but an old fashioned remedy. Another old time remedy is to push cattails around the inside bottom and that will help also by acting as a seal.

I literally hate the tin canteens especially when used without a cover.I particularly hate the Confederate banjo tin canteens because the water in them heats up so fast in the sun on hot days.These are just some random thoughts for what they are worth.
Tom Patton :bow: :v

Canteentwo.jpg

I like the leather covered bottles. This is an old heart shaped wine bottle. Water stays fresh,
leather can take lots of abuse.

I use a small gourd lined with melted beeswax with a braided thong to tie it to your belt. It's held up for 27 years.

Norseman said:
Any suggestions and manufacturers of a trouble free canteen would be most benificial. :thumbsup:

I can second the leather canteen option. I made one for myself (and 5-6 others for friends) that is all I carry now. Tough, light, doesn't make the water taste funky, and doesn't make as much noise as other types. I've carried it for 4-5 years in all conditions with NO problems. I'd be glad to send you pictures if your wish.....

Please post pics! I am always open to canteen ideas. A fellar has to have water when he is out and about.
I have a classic goat skin replica. Replica is the key to that sentence. Someone asked on the forum about them. The looks might be PC or close to PC but, they are lined with vinyl and the only way to make water even slightly drinkable is to soak overnight with baking soda and water. Rinse several times before filling for use. Warning the hotter it gets during the day the more you can taste the vinyl.
So please post pics and any info you want to share.

I'll be happy to e-mail pictures, but I don't have any way to post them. Please PM me if you don't want to post your e-mail address.

Please keep in mind that these are "historically inspired" by the leather jack-ware of the period and are hand-made with PC materials (as much as is possible in todays world).

Well I ordered and received a kidney type canteen from Crazy Crow. Excellent quality. It is stainless steel (like a mirror). I sanded it with fine sandpaper to a dull luster and is more of a grey and non reflective. Looks damn good! Doesn't leak. I replaced the wood stopper (Period correct-but dripped water)with a .50 cent cork from Ace Hardware. My wife noticed I forgot to buff up the bottom and she said "hey use it as a mirror", as she checked her make up. So now I have a mirror on the bottom of my canteen! :rotf:

The Blockade Runner, a civil war sutler, sells a real nice wooden canteen that is lined with a food grade plastic. It has a nice copper spout and cork. You will never have to worry about that one leaking. I have one and it sure is a lot less hassle than a total wooden one. Actually, it is no hassle at all.

Latest posts

Back