• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cap n ball loading stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jac Spring

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just got through making a simple loading stand and thought some might like to see it:

HPIM0413.JPG

HPIM0414.JPG

I made it out of scrap materials - including the leather strips which are from an old belt.

It fits my dragoon as shown and also my 1860's.

Was going to buy one but decided to see about making one instead :)

Nice stand. I won one at a shoot. It had a U block cut for the butt and a taller peice that went up where your wood is and it was slotted for another U block that you could slide up and down for barrel. These are handy for loading your pistol. Dilly

OSOK that is beautiful.
Not only a loading stand but a beautiful presentation stand also. :hatsoff: :hatsoff:

Well, thanks guys. I was trying to make something functional.

The last time I was at the range, it took me a while to load my revolvers as I had to hold em with my left hand and juggle the powder measure, etc. around with my right to load.

This'll let me fill all the cylinders with powder, cap em with wads and then seat the balls in a more efficient way.

YOu may want to modify it a bit, by ADDING a post with a crotch on it, to fit around the barrel. That will steady the gun in the rest in winds. If you use a round dowel, say, 1 inch, and then just drill a hole in the base of the stand behind the current vertical cylinder holder, you can remove the vertical piece for easier storage, and transportation, putting it into the base when you set it up at the range.

I know how much a pain it is to load a revolver without a stand, but you won't have a stand or table to put it on in the field, either.

A friend of mine in our gun club shot the entire hunter's walk course using his revolver. Because the rules called for guns to be only loaded at a designated place at each station, He loaded just one chamber at each station, just as the riflemen loaded their rifles when they reached the station. The walk went up and down muddy ravines, and we all were very thankful that no one was allowed to carry a loaded gun between stations. We didn't break any gunstocks, but some men came back muddier than others. Oh, he did fairly well, and impressed the heck out of other shooters.

This is what I based it on - at Dixie.

It's a smaller and folds but I think I like mine better :)

GA1206.JPG

I'm going to use it as-is and see how it works - I figure if the wind is blowing that much, I'll probably not be shooting :winking:

O.S.O.K. said:
This is what I based it on - at Dixie.

It's a smaller and folds but I think I like mine better :)

GA1206.JPG

I'm going to use it as-is and see how it works - I figure if the wind is blowing that much, I'll probably not be shooting :winking:

Yours is very nice and inventive using the piece of leather. I recently made five or six stands more along the line of the DGW one. The all have a notch for the revolver butt and I put felt all the way across the top and down in the notch to make it look more finished and I liked the felt as protection for the cylinder or barrel (if I use it in a display mode). Three I cut the stepped notches in, the other three (numbers are approximate here because I went a little wild) I used a hole drill (like to cut holes in doors for doorknobs) only I raised it to make a curved cutout at the top. Then I cut a notched for the hammer which has to be half cocked to rotate the cylinder for loading. On my version a lot of this was trial and error as I would try to use it, find something that didn't work, or could work better and made modifications. Finally, on a couple I drilled a couple that had longer bases, I drilled a row of six, or three over three, shallow holes to set round balls. That way I would know that each chamber was loaded when I had no more of the round balls in the holes. Sometimes I can't remember if I loaded five or six shots and I'm not a lucky punk. I considered adding a dowel rod to hold an extra cylinder, but currently only have colt types. Once I get my Remington New Army I might consider it.

Oh and though a couple were made out of Poplar, most were made from salvaged wood from a pallet that my friend Kuhndog scavenged.

O.S.O.K.,

Nice job on the stand! A friend of mine builds a loading stand that I use all the time. It's really different from yours. His has the ability to load everything from sherrif's models to patriot style single shots.

You'll find that your scores / accuracy will increase due to the use of the stand. From pouring a charge from a pre-loaded tube to getting equal pressure on top of all of the balls in the cylinder, a loading stand is the way to go.

One quick tip: Before I pour powder into the cylinder, I lower the loading lever into an empty chamber...stops the cylinder from turning while you're trying to pour powder or use a wad or put a ball on top of the wad. In this manner, the wind doesn't get a chance to blow-out any 3F from a chamber that's only got powder in it :winking: . Less powder gets spilled and you never have to worry about pouring a double charge. Better accuracy too because everything is the same :) .

Let us know how you do with the new stand,

Dave

Thanks guys- how bout some pics of yours? I'd like to see em :)

ETA - I'm looking at the forum page - in big red letters there's a notice about where to post threads about making equipment... oops - I guess this should be in the other forum :redface:

NICE, Nice looking stand. Only improvement I would do is place a small block where your butt rests on the belt buckle and then the pistol won't move anywhere even in the wind. If the frame holding the cylinder fits solid and the butt can't move it's time to load and have fun.
Fox :hatsoff:

The 1/2 cock hammer keeps it from rolling down and it's prett steady.

If I do anything, it'd probably be what Paul was saying - removable/storable barrel yoke.

pistld.jpg

Here is a collection of stands images I put together a while back .. I did NOT build them :surrender:

Davy

Davy: My father made me a stand like the one shown on the bottom left of your picture, and it worked fine, as long as it was not too windy. I think these stands need a wider base, and some kind of barrel yoke. I like those you are showing, particularly the one with the adjustable yoke.

OSOK....I didn't know you were on this board. I thought I had dejovue for a second. I said "I know I just saw that loading stand somewhere else.....".

I'm Flinter on the other board. Kinda hard to get that nic here!

Hey :grin:

Yeah, there aren't too many O.S.O.K.'s out there but there are some... so beware, they're not ALL me :winking:

And thanks guys for the compliments :)

I like that one holding the ROA, it's adjustable and gives me an idea for one of my own. thanks for the post Davey.

Back