• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps Everywhere!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChefP

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I somehow was able to fumble the entire tiny tin of caps all over the bedroom floor. After picking caps out of the carpet for a good while, :cursing: I'm struggling to figure out the best way to keep these suckers in check. How do you all manage your caps, especially in the field??

I intend to hunt with this gun (once I figure out whether or not I can hit the broad side of a barn with it) and could see this scenario as a trip-ender.

There are all sorts of cappers available, commercial and home made. I use a small horn, made from a short section of the tip, with a hole that allows 1 cap at a time to pass. Ted Cash makes some really nice ones, not cheap but very good.
Mark

A dram of Jim Beam tends to steady the hand and put to rest fears of little tins full of tiny thingies. :thumbsup:

LOL! I'd never mix alcohol and firearms!

I've been known to have a nip or two after the fact. I've seen brass cappers on that big auction site, straight ones and snail-shaped ones...is this what I would be looking for?

On an unrelated topic, I'm sitting here trying to figure the best way to get the powder from the bottle into the measure. I did order a horn just a little while ago from Track of the Wolf and wondering the same thing about getting powder into the horn. Is it as simple as a funnel? I tend to overthink things sometimes.

Flintlocks don't spill caps. :rotf:
I have purchased small funnels I use to fill horns. Dunno where I got them, probably at shoots somewhere from vendors.
BTW, leather cappers work just fine and cost is zero.

PICT0499-1.jpg

They are easy to make, work like a charm.

And to add a positive reply, I'll say I'm sure you're not the only one on this forum who has ever spilled caps...I haven't seen a soul here who is infallible, in spite of many who would have you believe that they are.

Speaking from my personal caplock experiences, I will say that the Ted Cash teardrop capper was the best and favorite of all I tried. They hold a full tin of 100 caps, are simple & 100% reliable to use, take up virtually no space and protect the caps.

My suggestion would be to spend the money on one and it'll last you a lifetime.

The learning curve can be a little steep in the beginning :wink: May I suggest not playing with the powder in a carpeted room. Rumors of people blowing up vacuum cleaners that way.They make spout caps that screw on those powder containers. Or you can make one for yourself by inserting a drilled out CF cartridge through the cap you have. Cover that with an inverted cartridge of slightly larger size.

A) carefully open tin. B) Sprinkle caps all over the bedroom carpet C) Get down on hands and knees. D) Pick up caps one at a time and gingerly place them in that nice new TED CASH snail capper you just bought. The good thing about carpet is that it holds the caps right where they fall, making it easy to pick them up. Unless you still have the shag carpet from the 70's. :surrender:

If you go with a Ted Cash capper I would reccomend the model 12CR-2. To fill my horns I use an RCBS reloading funnel. It's recessed to fit over the neck of a brass case for reloading and fits onto the horn spout and prevents spilling.
Mark

ChefP said:
wondering the same thing about getting powder into the horn. Is it as simple as a funnel?
They actually make a plastic cap that fits on the plastic jugs and a screw on one for the 1# tins.

Got a water fountain at work? The paper cups work handy as a funnel, just snip the bottom off with a scissors.
Oil funnels either plastic or paper, or even a sheet of printer paper rolled into a funnel with a peice of tape.

the straight capper is cheap and not worth the money. get the rifle or universal. load it in a well lit room at an empty table. tap it a little and most of the caps will turn right side up. flip the remainder with a tooth pick. tie a thong to it that will fit around your neck and reach your gun without removing it. always wear it. lost one hunting cause i did not loop it on. then shoot two or three hundred caps up and it will start to feel natural. and always remember
POWDER PATCH BALL POWDER PATCH BALL
oh and have fun.

I like the Ted Cash "snail" style....

Ted Cash Capper

I must admit that I dumped my caps on the ground when I was loading my capper, dropped them. I guess we aren't as perfect as someone else.

It happens.....

:surrender:

I've dropped caps before too! I still don't think I'll give up shooting until I can't find the caps I've dropped.

Thanks for the helpful info. I was looking at the straight ones, so now I won't be wasting any time or money on one. For the record, the powder itself is still sealed.

hanshi said:
PICT0499-1.jpg

They are easy to make, work like a charm.

I like this idea, too. In regards to the round one, do the holes go all the way through or is it backed with a solid piece?

ChefP, go to your local craft shop or hobby shop and spend something less than $2 for a plastic bottle of small glass beads. Dump out the beads and keep the bottle. It has a screw top with a loop and holds about 75 caps. You can even hang it around your neck.

Caps1.jpg

Caps2.jpg

Back