• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps for H&A underhammer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This may be off the subject a little.
I’m in the process of converting an old Numrich 34 inch .45 cal barrel from flintlock to underhammer. The barrel from a old minuteman rifle with a busted stock, but the barrel is in great shape, the bore is mirror clean it's stamped Hopkins and Allen Arms - Mod 34.
I’ve taken out the touchhole liner and replaced it with a threaded steel rod . I used a little epoxy to hold it in and filed off flush with the barrel.
The breech plug is a 5/8 X 18 stainless steel bolt that I cut to match the spec. I got from Bruce at[url] underhammer.com[/url] I’ve ordered a lock and stock from from him.
The question I have is this. I was planning to use a ¼ X28 nipple. I’ve seem several nipples for underhammer guns in the TOW catalog. They are all different length 5/16, 3/8 and 7/16. How do I know which one to use?

Last edited by a moderator:
The underhammer nipples from TOW are made to match the wall thickness of your barrel, or be real close. Mike the wall and pick the one that is closest without being longer than the wall dimension. :hmm:

Let us know how it goes, I have a .50 CVA barrel I'd like to convert. :hatsoff:

Just wondering on the 48" it has a 1/16th to 1/8th brass ring built into rifle,as long as nip is outside the barrel. Fred :hatsoff:

So what keeps the cap from falling off? Do you loose them often? :blah: :blah: :rotf: :rotf:

Sorry, Just had to ask! :winking:

Why that little piece of vinyl tubin' that some folks use to keep water out of their nipples. :winking:

I have an H & A from Numerick arms with a bull barrel. It still has the original nipple and it takes a #11 RWS cap. Don't know about the thread pitch. Can't find an underhammer for less then $600. Mowrey is shut down, any ideas?

Back