• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Caps not firing on first hammer blow.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am havng an issue with my smooth rifle, the caps (CCI #11 magnum's) arent going off on the first blow from the hammer, most of the time, what I mean is maybe half the time it will go off first time and the other it takes two tries.

What can cause such a problem, I have ead that it may be due to a mushroomed nipple, but I dont think that is the issue as I have tried turning it a little in my drill press with a file at least a half dozen times, the cap fits easily on and must be pinched for it to stay on.

Anyway today I am going to make a new tumbler that will allow me to get more performance out of my mainspring, hopefully a a more powerful blow from the hammer will increase reliability.

I was experiencing the same thing with my TC Renegade .54 again using both standard and magnum CCI #11’s. Sounds just routine but what I found was a sooted up piece of #11 cap inside the hammer face cup … which was insulating the blow of the hammer . The brass pieces were so sooted up and flat you couldn’t see them until you scratched them out with a screwdriver. Easy fix ✔️

Back