• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Choice of measure is strictly a personal decision. I happen to prefer the Irish measure to the English, simply because the "scoop " measure allows me to add or lessen the amount of shot I use in my gun, without a lot of fuss. I can't do that with the English measure as easily, because of the way the Gates are set up.

Frankly, I would take a cue from these artisans, and make a bag pouch to carry shot, and simply use a series of powder measures, or an adjustable measure to measure out the shot. Its worked well for shooters for years. The only reason I have the Irish bag I made is because a friend encouraged me to do so.

And, I now have a hunting bag with a shot bag attached to the carrying strap, with another Irish measure, because it was a gift to me. That darn bag can carry 3 lbs. or more, and that is Just too much weight to have dragging down on my shoulder.

I would much prefer a carry pouch that holds no more than 1 lb of shot, and simply put the pouch in my hunting bag. If I am hunting doves, with a 15 bird daily bag limit, I can carry several small pouches of shot, or simply bring a plastic jar with 3 lbs. of shot and load my shot pouch from it if I have a hot day and begin to use up the shot in the pouch.

Choice of measure is strictly a personal decision. I happen to prefer the Irish measure to the English, simply because the "scoop " measure allows me to add or lessen the amount of shot I use in my gun, without a lot of fuss. I can't do that with the English measure as easily, because of the way the Gates are set up.

Frankly, I would take a cue from these artisans, and make a bag pouch to carry shot, and simply use a series of powder measures, or an adjustable measure to measure out the shot. Its worked well for shooters for years. The only reason I have the Irish bag I made is because a friend encouraged me to do so.

And, I now have a hunting bag with a shot bag attached to the carrying strap, with another Irish measure, because it was a gift to me. That darn bag can carry 3 lbs. or more, and that is Just too much weight to have dragging down on my shoulder.

I would much prefer a carry pouch that holds no more than 1 lb of shot, and simply put the pouch in my hunting bag. If I am hunting doves, with a 15 bird daily bag limit, I can carry several small pouches of shot, or simply bring a plastic jar with 3 lbs. of shot and load my shot pouch from it if I have a hot day and begin to use up the shot in the pouch.

Marc Adamchek said:
Anyway, for those using one, which is a better charger - Irish or English?

For quick and easy and one less thing to drop, I prefer the English. Of course, that assumes you only want to use 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 oz shot charges.

Your right it is a personal choice and really until you use one or the other, you won't know for sure. I have had both and for me, (again personal choice) I prefer the English head and no longer have an Irish head. As far as adjusting an English head, it is real easy. Yes, they come with a two stage adjustment to them. But, you can get almost any amount less by sleeving them with a piece of brass tubing you can get from many hardware stores. Just get some brass tubing that is a nice snug fit and place it between the 2 gates.If it is a nice fit, the sleeve will stay easily between the two gates. With a little expermenting, you cut the length of the tubing to the amount of shot you want it to throw. Since I shoot allot of shotguns, I have more than one or two English headed flasks.(again personal choice, I tried but didn't like a shot snake) Each gun has one set-up to fit what load the gun likes best. Of course some guns shoot the same loads, so I use the same flask for those. But I have them set up for 7/8oz., 1oz. and 1 1/8oz. loads my using the sleeving method and a powder scale to get them adjusted.

That is a great design (Stumpkiller's)...
I tie my powder measure to the neck of my shot bags so they come out of my hunting pouch together.

Osayo all,
I have used loose fixins, and pre-made cartridges.
One set up thats works pretty good is a section of river cane. Cut the section so the nuckle is in the middle with open ends on both sides. A charge of powder in one end and a measure of shot in the other. Both ends plugged with the wadding materiel.
Pull the wad ,dump the powder, ram the wad, pull the other wad, dump the shot,ram the wad and you arer ready to go.
If you include a bit extra powder you can prime first like a cartridge and dont need a separate priming horn.

I carry about 2 1/2 lbs in a suede English Shot Flask. It is usually ehough for an afternoon of dove shooting.

Back