• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying small game

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tx50cal

40 Cal.
Reaction score
So how would a traditional hunter carry a mess of squirrels or rabbits? 2hen I hunt with a rimfire I wear a vest with a pouch on the back. I don't think this would be right when hunting with my .32 squirell rifle.

Can't give you any description of game bags in early America, but there is documentation for their use.

The Pennsylvania Gazette
February 7, 1760
This is to give NOTICE, THAT JOHN BEALS, net maker, from London, makes all sorts of nets, as seins,”¦. partridge nets, pigeon nets, hoop nets, fowling bags , and all other sorts of nets,

The Pennsylvania Gazette
June 27, 1771
”¦..various sorts of cork screws; powder flasks and shot bags; silver and steel cock spurs or gaffs; shoulder bags for dead game; green goggles to preserve the eyes;

The Pennsylvania Gazette
October 24, 1771
JUST IMPORTED, and to be sold by NICHOLAS BROOKS,”¦. new fashioned shot pouches , leather powder flasks, shoulder bags for dead game, ladies earrings,

From the paintings of Francisco Goya, Spain, in the 1770s:

And this is the one I made for myself.

Spence

You guessed well on the size. The cloth is just a lightweight canvas/burlap, and is not waxed.
If you make a bag similar in construction, a tip for you. In addition to the fasteners for the flap, if you use them, consider one for the top center of the front of the bag. The weight of the game will make the bag deform so that it's awkward to carry if you don't.

Spence

Some Okie/Arkie influence I'm sure, but my great grandpap (born 1879) taught me to use a stick with one end pointed and a fork at the other end. Said his grandpap from Kaintuck taught him, which would put the practice way back when somewhere.

Pierce the stick through the hind leg right behind the Achilles tendon and slide the critter down till it hangs on the fork. Birds get pierced at the base of the tail for bigger, poop chute to throat for smaller. I've used the same stick method for fish.

Actually pretty handy. Just drop it when it's time to pop a cap. No bags, straps or belts, and there are at least several growing free on most any bush or tree.

Good idea but it ties up a hand where as a bag don't.
A bag can carry other stuff!

I use a canvas bag and net on front. You see it in my photos often. Must be over 12 years old now!

B.

I have a short length of rope, about 24". The ends are whipped. I loop it over the top of my belt. Then when I get small game like squirrel or rabbit, I open up the twists in the rope with my fingers, and poke the critter's head into the opening. The natural twist in the rope holds the critter, and if/when I get more than one I simply make sure to balance the load between the two parts of the rope.

LD

I use a duck-carrying strap. All you need is a 3-4" wide piece of leather about 15" long, punch 4 holes in each end, thread in a leather lace with a loop and you're done.

Folds up flat when not in use.

Here's a fancy commercially-made one.

I used to use one of those, passing it over my belt with the loops hanging down each side to keep my hands free. I'm here to tell you though, that there's not a belt in the world that will keep your pants from going to half mast with half a dozen snowshoe hare! :rotf:

Ended up carrying it in my hand and dropping it for shots. Worked great, but I left it on the porch for a moment one afternoon, and the neighbor dog felt the soaked in rabbit blood qualified it for eating.

That's when I switched back to the forked sticks. Heck, the dog even fetches them and want me to throw them again! :grin:

I have a couple of game hooks that look like this...

gamehook.jpg

...you put it through a buttonhole.

Kyle at Old Dominion Forge has this fancy hanger that he made on his web site:

granthanger0306051.jpg

granthanger0306052.jpg

granthanger0306053.jpg

Patterned after an early original as seen in Madison Grant's The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch, this hanger is the ultimate for the gentleman hunter. Completely hand forged and filed, this hanger features a double-locking mechanism and lots of embellishment. Paired with a C. J. Wildey hand-wove linen and wool strap in red and black strip and herringbone pattern. Hand sewn leather tabs."

Notice he says, "for the gentleman hunter". (that means $$$)

For small game rabbits -squirrels they are field dressed and skinned while warm..cleaned- then into an over the shoulder wax covered bag...
Woodcock-grouse are carried in a shooting vest with large game bag on the lower back...Non traditional due to self imposed blaze orange restrictions...Just haven't taken the time to construct a traditional version in hunter orange.
The cover is to thick not to wear it.

from Feb.2016 squirrel hunting a Minnesota ridge line. game bag on left hip..
That size bag held all I needed for a full day's hunt...food and drink in.... game out.
plus camera and game cleaning kit=bags,gloves.

In this case bigger is better...

1 lbs. Goex powder cans

IMG_20061_zpsd7d030d6.jpg

here's a blackpowder bum wearing one on a Minnesota ridge line in Feb.2016. :v

P2070336_zpsbrw85ned.jpg

Another "Heim" built bag

Back