• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Carrying two ML rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron LaClair

In Rembrance
Reaction score
Is there any States that don't allow you to carry two Muzzle loading long guns when hunting?

Minnesota also stipulates one gun. You can't even use a swivel breech or double rifle there.

Here in Michigan you CAN carry two guns and also a black powder pistol.

During small game season I like to carry my .32 squirrel rifle and have my 20ga smoothbore loaded with shot on a sling on my back. This year I'm going to carry my .62 rifle and my 20ga loaded with a prb during deer season.

I actually found out oh probably 25 years ago by a Game Warden of all things. I was on Prudence Island where I normally used a scoped Rem 870 .12ga but I had a shortened Zouave .58 cal at the time and figured I'd bring it a long in case I got a good shot where I could use it. So I had it propped up next to me where I was hunting when a couple CO's drove by and stopped to tell me about a few deer they just saw up the road about 300 yards. This was pre ATV and no way I was wheeling up that far just find them gone....anyway he one asks about the Zouave and I told him. They didn't care cause back then there was to many deer and they needed to be shot but they did inform me I was only allowed to have one gun. I made sure I did after that.

Kinda funny that here in Illinois, one of the most gun-restrictive states, we are allowed to tote as many as we can carry. Even double-barrels. :shocked2: :haha:

here in New Hampshire, we can only carry one muzzleloading rifle & one muzzleloading pistol durring our muzzleloader season - but oddly enough, if you have a concealed carry permit, you can have a loaded .44 mag on your hip at the same time!!!!

What ever state or province you live in, it would behoove you to ask a warden. It seems that some of these questions aren't answered well in the basic regulation booklet.

Jethro224 said:
Kinda funny that here in Illinois, one of the most gun-restrictive states, we are allowed to tote as many as we can carry. Even double-barrels. :shocked2: :haha:

in neighboring MO it's the same except for the state being gun restrictive. double rifles, mulitiple rifles, they don't care. when doing deer drives i always have my Kodiak double and another single barrel along. i missed a chance on a big buck at 20 yards on a drive years ago because i was reloading. since i started using two guns it has come in handy on a few occasions.

ohio allows only one weapon no ml pistols but you can use a double, also you can carry a concealed weapon i was told if you are a permit holder ml has to be 38cal or larger

I don't have the answer to your question but the subjects begs another question.........how do you conveniently carry two rifles and gear and at the same time pack a deer out? I don't doubt it can be done just wondering what the technique is.

sling one right the other left, helps if same cal. less stuff in your sa'pose'ables bag, short for say i just might have it, give me an hour i'll tel ya :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :hatsoff:

Put the 2 rifles in the animal's body cavity and drag everything out. Of course the rifles fit better in a larger animal such as an elk or a moose but w/ a deer just poke them out the rear end. Hawken sized rifles naturally fit better than do LRs :grin: ....Fred

I leave mine at the barn when I go for help dragging. :) You guys are tough dragging Moose and Elk around. :bow: I carry one rifle on my right shoulder barrel down,the second one cradled pointing left with my right hand holding the sling (on slung rifle) and the wrist of the second rifle. Carries good that way. Nice and tight. On the legal question I don't think it is legal to hunt with two in W va I just checked the regs and I don,t know if its legal or not:idunno: Did see .40 cal is legal thought it was .45 up. :) Larry Wv

smokehouseman said:
I don't have the answer to your question but the subjects begs another question.........how do you conveniently carry two rifles and gear and at the same time pack a deer out? I don't doubt it can be done just wondering what the technique is.

Obviously you don't know Mr La Clair. He's 6'10" with arms of granite and legs like mighty oaks. He carries a 4 bore flintlock in each hand and an English 6 pounder in his belt for back up. Why Ron will simply grab both his and your deer in his teeth and stick you in his coat pocket so you don't slow him down tryin'to keep up!!! :rotf: :rotf:

A sling on both guns solves the gun carrying problem. A haversack under one arm and shooting bag and horn under the other, leaving the arms free for dragging. OR you could have one gun slung and the drag rope tied to the other while holding it horizontally behind you to pull out the deer...

Use your Yankee ingenuity ....

Good_Weekend.JPG

For sure you've got this concept well figured out :bow: . My Yankee ingenuity has lead me as far as a Kodiak Express double rifle. Sometime in the future that may be on my list of "should get" things.

Wouldn't carry two rifles, but don't drag or pack nothin'. We use a hysterically correct tractor.

Latest posts

Back