• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cartridge boxes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onefeather

45 Cal.
Reaction score
does anyone have or use any cartridge boxes that would have been used in the french and indian war time.and is there any known hand made that were not mass produced for the military some that mabey a farmers wife would have made or just put together for militia use . because i have the basic design for one but want to make it a militia kind of box thanks ahead of time :front:

Check out the boxes at G. Gedney Godwin.

http://www.gggodwin.com/page2.htm

A homespun copy of any of these would be suitable for a militia man. We were scrabblin for gear at the time and make do was done lots.

Be warned. Some modern reenactment groups will not accept just any box - even for militia - in case that matters to you.

I have a copy I made of this one. Drilling 17 holes with a hand auger will try your patience. I ended up splitting so much wood away that I made wax paper cylinders, set them in the remains of the holes, made a wax paper bib around the block and formed the top with Accraglas. :haha: Looks like brown plastic, but it's durable. :rolleyes:

russetbellybox.jpg

I wasted a lot of wood making mine as well. You get some gouges and splits easily. I later thought of drilling thinner and finer stock and gluing that over the uglier block so as to make a more attractive top.

My box was a larger Rev War box with a center row off set from the two outer rows.

CS

My box was a larger Rev War box with a center row off set from the two outer rows.CS
Yep....I did one of those also. Copied one of the designs from SketchBook '76 years ago. Bored all the holes freehand with a hand drill and plain old spade type wood bit. It was difficult to say the least. I had to repair a few holes that got chunked out.
But hey, it was basically free! :)
Jack

I have used cherry wood Forster bit with good results. Just takes time.
Check out Collectors Illustrated Enc. of the Rev.by Neumann. Lots of Home Made Militia type stuff and British boxes.

Hey One Feather:
I realize this is an old thread, but here it goes. . .
I picked up an unmarked French box from flying canoe traders that's based on an extant copy recovered from Quebec. It's just a plain leather ctg box that fits nicely on my belt. the drawback is it's only 9 shots. I justify that with the fact I wouldn't want much more weight hangin' off my belt. I used to have a double row belly box, but it sagged too much.
Also, I sound like a broken record, but check out the Collector's encyclopedia of the Am Rev. it has so many variants you'll definately find one to suit your purpose.

I still don't know if a cartridge box will be practible for me or not.

thanks you guys i ordered the collecters encyclopydia of the american rev so i might find some good stuff in there thanks
:thanks:

Back