• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

carving and checkering my double barrel (20x50) howdah!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackNet

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This is a kit project I have been working on for some time now.

I sent it off to Errol Case to get his world class carving magic and this is the final results:

new-Howda5+003.jpg

Howda5+004.jpg

progression:
howdah+progress.jpg

that should go quite good with these locks.
IMG_5156.JPG

while he has been carving it I have been working on the small metal parts.

IMG_7094.JPG

IMG_7089.JPG

IMG_7115.JPG

The stock should be here tuesday or wednesday. I will post overall shots once it's all together. I just have to blacken or blue 3 small wood screws.

I almost forgot, I did something special with the endcap.
IMG_7105.JPG

The base plate is blackened and the cap itself is brownells oxpo-blue.

Ed Street said:
The stock should be here tuesday or wednesday. I will post overall shots once it's all together. I just have to blacken or blue 3 small wood screws.

I almost forgot, I did something special with the endcap.
IMG_7105.JPG

The base plate is blackened and the cap itself is brownells oxpo-blue.

Hi,

WOW, you have done a great work !!

I really like the colors...

Is is just oxpo-blue ? some fire torch ?

Thanks for sharing

etienne Brule

The swirls in the cap is from a combo of 400 grit sandpaper, 0000 steel wool, 555 grey buffing compound and bead blasting. No heat applied anywhere, all cold process.

the base plate I just bead blasted and applied caswell's stainless steel blackener (it's a cold process, just wipe it on and your done)

Worst case would be you get it wrong and have to take it the buffer or bead blast to remove the blue

This thing is a dream to shoot. the soft BOOM of the 20g side is amazing. No recoil and easy to handle, smooth on the trigger and the only bad thing I can say about it is the weight and length (length is finding a case to fit it.)

Ed look in the classified section of this forum. Thought I saw where someone made holsters for the howda Pistol. Used a 20 ga for a pattern. They look pretty good.
Fox :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back