• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cast some balls the other day, made paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittzo

32 Cal.
Reaction score
The results of the other day's casting.
DSC00360Medium.jpg

DSC00359Medium.jpg

Now I'm figuring out how to store them. Tupperware for now, but I made another ball pouch out of a leather pouch kit I bought at Hobby Lobby. It's so easy, I'm going to wait for a sale on leather crafts and load up on tools and components and make other stuff.

There's nothing special about my .533 Minie ball paper cartridges. I just cut about 1/2" of rolling paper off with scissors and ran a glue stick along the top edge and glued it to the bullet below the first lube ring. The first few I made, I didn't cut off the excess and some of them were too large to fit in the bore, so I load them with little overlap so they slip snugly into the bore. I loaded those with 60 grains of 777, but the rest of them with 90 after yesterday's good results. Flatten the open end after loading it with powder, then apply the glue stick, pinch the end and then fold it a couple of times with a dab of glue on the folds. You can see that I did the same with the .68" cartridges.

It's been my experience that if I use grease pills, lubed wads, or wonder wads, the gun gets really greasy with 777. I've read that it creates it's own lube, I've had good results so far, so I don't lube the Minie Balls. I thought paper patching eliminated the need for it, since the paper scrapes the barrel tight, keeping it from leading. I read about some guys adding Cream of Wheat to make sure the rifling gets filled with filler to reduce leading and fouling and to eliminate the gap between the bullet and bore.

DSC00363Medium.jpg

I did the .68" balls about the same way, but I didn't have to cut the excess off the paper, I just glued it whole to the flash line of the ball. I added 90 grains of 777 and glued it shut the same way as the .533" Minie ball cartridges.

DSC00365Medium.jpg

Then I read about Buck and Ball, so I made some paper cartridges after doing some research. I had some synthetic sinew handy, so I used it to tie the clusters off for the heck of it.

DSC00366Medium.jpg

The rolling papers are too short to package the balls and the powder, I had to use two of them.

DSC00369Medium.jpg

DSC00370Medium.jpg

The finished product, notice the folds.

There's been no fire hazard so far, the cloth patches land several feet in front of us, can't find any remnants of the rolling papers and we pump the ramrod down the barrel a few times to tamp out anything that is in there. Reckon it gets completely burned or fragmented upon firing? There is some residue left in my cap and ball from rolling paper and Cream of Wheat.

:v The "rolling papers" are nitrated so that they will burn and remain burning when used with tobacco so that the cigarette will burn whether you are puffing or not. Still it is a good idea to use the rammer to extinquish any remaining embers as you are doing. Cannon shooters use a damp mop to be really sure there are no embers.
Your ball and slugs have some wrinkles, have you smoked the mold or used a mold prep? Maybe a little more heat on the lead.
Good pictures BTW. Thanks for sharing! Looks as if you are having fun. :v

I thought the Feds passed a law on nitrated paper. All cigarette paper must go out if not being puffed. They claimed it was killing people when they went to sleep with lit cigarettes. Our government doesn't like to lose taxpayers. :nono:

as far as i know that is for prepacked sigs, not roll'n papers. its been two months when i bought mine, i use tops papers, works just fine for .454 rb and 30g pellet, 1/8" wade (for the new be's) that' 30 g pellet 1/8' wade .454 cal ball. load in 3.4 sec not 5 min per chamber, timed it just for the fun of it, now if i could do that with all six and cap, oh boy, but one was good for me, no cap or fire, not till i got to the range, and that is is a hole dif story.

This is my third time to cast, ever. It's been a year since last time, almost. I cast a couple hundred .454" balls and some .60" last time to last a while. The second time produced hardly any wrinkled balls, I haven't experienced frost.
I had a time of it with my stove a week ago, I had a bad O-ring, so not enough heat was getting to the lead and the fire was dirty, not propane blue. I didn't get the molds hot enough for the .530 and the .68, at first. The .454's were nearly perfect, as were most of the minie's, I culled all the really bad wrinkled ones. I can hit a 6" circle marked on a pizza box at 50 yards with all three rifle bullets, so they're okay. :)And that was the first time to shoot at a "proper" target with the three loads. I haven't fired Buck and Ball yet, but I will.
I just make up some loading blocks to make paper cartridges easier.

I make paper cartridges for my Sharps rifles by using the papers that are used for curling womens hair. I bought about 10,000 for under 20 dollars. I tie the paper on with dental floss and glue the end with Elmer's glue. Dip both ends of the finished cartridge in bee's wax.

I heard of that, it might even have been you talking about it on THR's forums. :)

It was so weird buying rolling papers, but the dude that owned the tobacco shop believed me, he actually has an 1850 Colt replica. That size ZigZag are too big for my Remington .44. I used another name brand, but I can't remember what it was, but I'll remember when I see it. French's? They were perfect for the .44 and probably the .54, too. Next time, I'm going to buy a couple packs of all the sizes, if they make something longer, so I can have all of them taken care of with less prep..

I no longer smoke but I recall the Rizla papers that came with the American Spirit Tobacco did not contain nitrates. I noticed the price of RYO stuff went up with the new taxes.

Back