• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Castor oil

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

retired

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone used castor oil from model aircraft supply stores? Some of these guys still use it to mix their own fuel and it is a whole lot cheaper than the food grade stuff one buys at the drug stores or Walmart. It should be good stuff since those model aircraft engines run high RPMs, have very close tolerances and would not tolerate any gumming or residue.

Gill, use the search feature and type in "Stumpy's Moose Milk". Our very own Stumpkiller invented this stuff and Castor oil is one of the main ingredients.
It works really good. Stumpkiller knows a thing or two about flying model aircraft.

Gill, here it is:

Stumpkiller's Moose Milk

Isopropyl Alcohol (91%) __ 8 oz.
Castor Oil _______________ 3 oz.
Murphy's Oil Soap ________ 1 oz.
Witch Hazel ______________ 4 oz.
Water (non-chlorinated) __ 16 oz.

Add in the above order and shake well to mix as added, and again before every use or transfer. Oil and water don't mix, dontcha know. Castor is alcohol soluable, but not in water. And yes, the witch hazel does seem to make a difference in how well it smears and coats the bore.

I dip cotton strips twice, allowing them to dry flat, for "dry patching" (it's still oily, but not messy). Works great as a wet lube and powder solvent, too.

For absolute target or hunting I either wipe between shots with a spit patch if using a ball block or else add a drop of fresh Milk to the patch and smear it between my thumb and index finger if cutting at the muzzle.

I asked the same thing and Stumpy said he used the food grade stuff. And that is what I use.
The snot works great with my cap and ball gun. I love it :thumbsup:
Lehigh...

Thank You.
Found some at a model supply place for 25 cents an ounce, will try it in the snot and see how it works.

Yep. The Sig Castor works as well as the stuff from the drug stores. My latest batches were made using the Sig and it is good, clear (first press) oil. Probably not worth the difference to have shipped, but when my local hobby store has it I buy a pint.

While cleaning castor off my models I had a light bulb moment a few years back. "Wait a minute! This stuff just went through a hot engine's combustion and is still clear and slippery! This may work in a muzzleloader!"

Stumpkiller knows a thing or two about flying model aircraft.

True 'nuff. I can fly any fixed wing aircraft and land most of 'em. Well, at least bring them down nearby. Sometimes I only have to bend over once to pick them up. :redface:

You know what pilots say about landings. "A good one is one you can walk away from - a great one is when you can use the airplane again". :rotf:

Back