• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cavalry Le Mat dissasembly

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echo89

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Okay, I have a new Le Mat cavalry model by Pietta. Love it. Trying to figure out the tear down on it, and can't because I am afraid to force anything. As it seems to me, the takedown lever isn't really a lever that swings in a downward motion at all. It feels (because it won't budge in a downward motion) that it may require punching the pin to get it out, and then sliding it out to the front. Then proceed with the rest of the teardown as described. The only thing that isn't clear to me in the manual is the takedown lever operation. Please help me get it to the range, it's killing me. BTW, if your thinking about it, this is a beautful weapon, fit/finish is O/S (unless I'm wrong about that lever), and real handful. Almost as heavy as my Walkers.

DC

The takedown lever at the bottom front of the frame is probably just extra tight now because it is new. It swings down out of the slot in the lower portion of the barrel and permits you to unscrew the barre. The center arbor which is also a 65 caliber smooth bore barrel will also screw out of the frame. It may come off when you remove the primary barrel and it may stay on the frame until you unscrew it on purpose.

There are special considerations for removing the side plate and internal parts. In general, you need a special split screwdriver to remove the side plate nut and must do this before the hammer screw on the opposit side of the frame will even move. You can creat the spanner driver from a regular screwdriver blade of the right size and should be aware that they usually attach the nut with a tremendous and unnecessary amount of torque.

There is a long chapter in this book on the Lemat -including comprehensive disassembly instructions
[url] http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0595357962/ref=pd_kar_gw_2/102-7066975-5889748?n=283155[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Lemat Discussion Here:[url] http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=153997[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, Mec, I am going to give it a go tomorrow, maybe even with the nylon hammer and see what happens. Let ya'll know on this topic. Including range pics if I get there soon. Thanks for the info.

DC

Yep, got sidetracked for a couple of days. Tried the soft tap with the nylon hammer today, and bingo. Lever flipped down, guns comes apart, and getting to the range next weekend. Thanks mec.

DC

Mec, gotta put in a plug and say I bought that book (Percussion Pistols And Revolvers : History, Performance and Practical Use) and it is excellent! Practical advice for a beginner and probably something for the "experts" as well.

Back