• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Caywood “Fusil fin de chasse“, .62 Cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailWalker

32 Cal
Reaction score
Up for grabs is a Caywood “Type D” that was assembled by master gunsmith Chuck Edwards. It’s got a few little handling marks and a couple minute water streaks on the right side of the buttstock (the previous owner didn’t properly plug the touch hole during the cleaning process) but is in otherwise excellent condition with a bright bore. It’s a beautifully balanced and well put together firearm that shoots as good as it looks. Caywood’s reverse coming of the touch hole results in incredibly fast and reliable ignition, but its larger diameter means that 3F will simply trickle out during the charging process. This one prefers 1.5-2F powder. Please note that it does have rear sights. LOP is 14” and weight is approximately 8.5 LBS.

I’m asking $1,800 shipped and will accept most forms of payment including electronic options like PayPal, Venmo, and Zelle. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me with any questions!

Attachments

• IMG_3277.jpeg
    IMG_3277.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2559.jpeg
    IMG_2559.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2562.jpeg
    IMG_2562.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2560.jpeg
    IMG_2560.jpeg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2561.jpeg
    IMG_2561.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2563.jpeg
    IMG_2563.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2564.jpeg
    IMG_2564.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2565.jpeg
    IMG_2565.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
That is a beauty, and I would expect nothing less from Chuck. You are going to make some one happy.

Thanks for saying so!

I created quite the upset at a recent club shoot with this guy after somehow forgetting to bring my .60 cal round balls. I ended up having to shoot .54 cal balls (.535, to be exact) and double patching it. I ended up out-shooting most of the guys on the 100 yard targets, which is really a testament to the accuracy of this gun, since I’m no crack-shot! This feat earned me the new nickname “Little Balls”. Still not sure how I feel about that moniker…

I’ll be real sorry to see it go, but Papa needs a new Armstrong rifle!

Last edited:
You know you’re going to live to regret it if this one passes through your fingers…

Reasonable offers considered.

Hey there. If I remember correctly, barrel length is 41”. I’m currently traveling back home from the Fort Bridger Rendezvous, so I’ll have to confirm when I return home on Tuesday.

Below is a photo of the touch hole. It’s reverse-coned which consequently makes it look larger than it really is, but it certainly dwarfs those on other flintlocks I own. Caywood intentionally developed them this way, so I don’t want there to be any assertions that it’s “burnt out” (I’ve heard it all before); this is how they come when new. The design aids in ignition speed and reliability.

Here’s a thread with pictures of a brand new English game gun that show a similarly large touch hole.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/my-new-caywood-gunmakers-english-game-gun.156153/

I’ve effectively used 3F with excellent results, but you must block the touch hole with a feather or pick, otherwise powder will trickle into the pan and self-prime. You don’t have that issue with 2F.

Attachments

• IMG_3701.jpeg
    IMG_3701.jpeg
    588 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thanks for saying so!

I created quite the upset at a recent club shoot with this guy after somehow forgetting to bring my .60 cal round balls. I ended up having to shoot .54 cal balls (.535, to be exact) and double patching it. I ended up out-shooting most of the guys on the 100 yard targets, which is really a testament to the accuracy of this gun, since I’m no crack-shot! This feat earned me the new nickname “Little Balls”. Still not sure how I feel about that moniker…

I’ll be real sorry to see it go, but Papa needs a new Armstrong rifle!
That’s a motivating haircut brother are you a veteran?

I wish I had the funds to buy that that’s exactly what I need. I have one of those Indian maid trade guns they’re OK. I’m getting more used to it and enjoy it, but your Caywood Fusilnis definitely top-notch.

That’s a motivating haircut brother are you a veteran?

I wish I had the funds to buy that that’s exactly what I need. I have one of those Indian maid trade guns they’re OK. I’m getting more used to it and enjoy it, but your Caywood Fusilnis definitely top-notch.
Ha! No… just a victim of male-pattern baldness. But thank you.

Seriously reconsidering whether I want to sell this guy. Someone had better buy it quick before I change my mind!

Judicious use of a 4,000 grit sanding pad and Beck Flintlock’s wax resulted in a vast reduction of the streak on the butt stock.

Attachments

• IMG_4019.jpeg
    IMG_4019.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Back