• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What Muzzleloading Stuff Did You Do Today?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just about finished with one of Jacks patch knives! Next it the sheath and final sharpening!

Attachments

• IMG_7262.jpeg
    IMG_7262.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7263.jpeg
    IMG_7263.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Shot the SMR at 100 yd range to try bipod shooting sticks at that distance. Results of doing that .... ehhhhh, not worth bragging about. Did hit the target with all shots, but I'm not writing home about a 16-inch group. I did learn more about shooting with a bipod and got more comfortable doing it. Also did some offhand and some supported shooting, both of which went well enough. Another guy at the range turned out to be someone who had done two Kibler kits - an SMR and a Colonial, though not along with him today, and apparently not shot recently, but was fun comparing notes. I did ask him if he was on the Muzzleloading Forum and he said "No" and I'm not sure if he knew what I was talking about. It occurred to me that here was a Kibler kit-builder who was unaware of the forum, whereas this forum is a huge support base for Kibler Long Rifles. Maybe Jim Kibler should be making some mention of this forum on his website? There's nothing that gets things going like a positive feedback loop.

What a nice-looking rifle, very good workmanship. Are you bringing it to the Howard City Muzzleloaders shoot in a couple weeks?
Yes it will be at the Howard City shoot, along with a couple of others. Talked to Rick, he sold the bench rifle at Burly. Back to working on the double mule ear...

At the Minnesota state shoot, even though our Sr. black powder 4-H team didn't first in a single event, they still got first place! They shoot 50 yard buffalo, 25 yard bottle, 25 yard silhouette, 15 yard pistol, and hawk. Lots of fun. Some of the other counties have some very good shooters. I hope to see it grow!
Dave I didn't even know about this to bad we can't convert even a portion of these kids and maybe some of there parents into shooting for fun at some of the shoots that are held monthly we are the Cannon Valley Muzzleloaders and shoot at Alhmans guns in Morristown

Polished up 2 CVA barrels one 15/16", one 1" filed the hateful v notch in a CVA underbarrel rib took a left hand Cabelas barrel to the gunsmith...I cannot get the breech plug out...broke my vise trying... got a new vise... replaced the coil spring and rod in the left hand lock ...filed on the CVA mountain rifle breech to better fit the GPR breech plug...searched my parts....found the TC Cherokee parts bag...freed up the sear plunger. amd washed my hands about a million times getting the the file dust out...and stuff I forget.

I shot my 58 today which I just coned. I realize it's not a ragged hole or clover leaf. I also realize it's not a 5 shot group but after three I realized it was shooting exactly the same as before I coned. That's from a bench at 50 meters. I had detached retina surgery followed by cataract surgery last year on that eye. In your hands it'll shoot better. This was for Mr. Joe wood and his tool. He salt of the earth!

Attachments

• 20240911_105454.jpg
    20240911_105454.jpg
    860.2 KB · Views: 0
I shot my 58 today which I just coned. I realize it's not a ragged hole or clover leaf. I also realize it's not a 5 shot group but after three I realized it was shooting exactly the same as before I coned. That's from a bench at 50 meters. I had detached retina surgery followed by cataract surgery last year on that eye. In your hands it'll shoot better. This was for Mr. Joe wood and his tool. He salt of the earth!
Not a ragged hole but if you're a hunter, that's a dead critter at 50 meters 👍

Hah, don't fall into the trap of comparing your targets with the typical "internet group". That's a good group any day.

What model is your 58?

Started loading a few things up for Friendship.
I'll be heading to the primitive camp either Monday thru Wednesday or Tuesday thru Thursday. The old smoothbores are gonna be smokin for a few days.
We are arriving Friday afternoon! Also starting to do some prep! Will have my boys do some serious prep tomorrow!

Wiped the dust and cobwebs off my Pietta 58 and took my Grandson out shooting. He had a brand new nickel plated Colt unmentionable. When the Pietta came out it wasn't long till the Colt got put down. Soon enough he was loading up a shooting with no help from me. He only missed the 20 yard plate twice out of 60 shots. The kid showed me up! Now he wants to buy it.😁

Attachments

• IMG_20240911_111642427.jpg
    IMG_20240911_111642427.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Back