• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CCI "Multiple Use" Musket Caps

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4given

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I was at my local Sportsmans Warehouse yesterday and they were out of RWS Musket caps. I need some full power musket caps for hunting. However they had some CCI musket caps and the label on the tin said "Multiple Use". Other than that the packaging looks the same as the reduced power musket caps designed for reenactors. I asked the guy at the gun counter if he knew if the multiple use caps were the same as the ones marked "for reenactment use". He didn't know. I foolishly picked up a tin of them "since I was there anyway".

I emailed CCI this morning and asked:

Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2012 8:54 AM
To: cciexpert
Subject: CCI Ammo - Ask the Expert Form

Are the 4 wing musket caps in the container marked "Multiple Use" the same lighter explosive charge, as the the ones in the container marked "For Reenactment Use"?

They replied:

cciexpert

Kevin,

There has been no change in the caps themselves, only a change in the wording on the packaging.

Austin @ CCI/Speer

What a drag! I need the full power musket caps for my Idaho elk hunt this fall!

Just though tyou all would want to know so you know what you are getting.

Just a question
Where/When was it determined that the caps marked
"For Reenactment Use"
where/are a lighter explosive charge?

This is a copy and paste from the Sportsman's Warehouse website:

CCI Musket Caps (1219375)

$7.49

4 Reviews | Review this product

IN STOCK

CCI Musket Caps - Tough four wing design, lighter explosive charge, and designed especially for reenactment.

Also here are some reviews form the Sportsmans Warehouse page:

Name: Matt K Rating 0
Review Comments: I have used the now discontinued #300 musket caps with my Armisport musket since I purchased it for sending minie balls down range. Now CCI has reduced the umph of these with the 4 wing #301s. The first one I tried did not ignite the powder charge and I was useing GEOX 2f BP. My shooting session had over a 30% failure to ignite the charge. I wrote to CCI and received this response: "the old cap (#300) had a dual purpose, large quantity of powder ignition and reenactors using them in mock skirmishes. The new 301's are just for the reenactors as the priming mix has been reduced so as to not have the cap fail when the nipple becomes plugged. You're probably going to have to change nipples and go to a # 11 Mag cap." (a #11 mag cap has more power?) If you shoot only blanks have at these other wise, who makes a 8X1mm No. 11 nipple for an Armisport Musket? CCI please offer a cap with the power of the discontinued #300, we all don't just shoot blankes!
City: Salinas State: CA Date: 2011-04-12

Name: Troy Rating 4
Review Comments: Used this with a new T/C musket nipple. Not one missfire with my Hawkins!
City: Grand Jct State: CO Date: 2011-05-12

Name: Shawn Rating 0
Review Comments: Couldn't find any RWS so I tried a tin of these in my Knight Rifles Bighorn. I hunt the northwest states often where the shotgun primers are not allowed so I don't set the rifle up for it. Never had one single problem with the RWS musket caps working. Had close to half of the CCI's fail. I've been known to hunt bear with my muzzleloader and can tell you the last thing you want at close range is a weapon malfunction. To be honest I'll have to split the blame on this one. CCI needs to fix there rectal-cranial-inversion, and anybody who sells these things to hunters needs a good old fashioned B&^$h slap!
City: Cohasset State: CA Date: 2011-11-13

Name: Brent Rating 4
Review Comments: First off the 2 people who reviewed these obviously didn't read the tin, that said for reenactors. As a reenactor, these serve thier intended purpose just fine.
City: Mesa State: AZ Date: 2012-03-07

I have read similer things elsewere.

Ok,,
I guess I never fell for the need for Musket caps anyways.
I've done plenty of Deer and Black Bear hunting with just #11 caps in rifles that are designed for #11 caps,,
(that's non-musket rifles)
Good luck finding better Musket caps for your hunt.

Found some Dynamt Nobel musket caps at Cabelas! :thumbsup:

I am in business now! :grin:

4given said:
Found some Dynamt Nobel musket caps at Cabelas! :thumbsup:

I am in business now! :grin:

nice! musket caps are simply not available around where i live so i bought a conversion nipple from track of the wolf. this should allow the use of #11 caps in my musket. gonna try it out this weekend, hope it works out.

They will work. They just don't burn quite as hot or give off as much gas as the musket caps.

Back