• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

chamber sealant

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
went to range yesterday and "bore butter" was so old it squirted out the back end of the tube. a mess. can someone give me some preferred brands of chamber sealant? know there's hundreds out there.
thanks
lp

What about the idea that the lube in front softens the BP fouling making the revolver able to shoot longer before needing cleaning? Saturday, I shot 7 cylinders out of my Goonerized 1849 pocket and i swear you could not tell from the outside that it had been shot at all. I lubed with Bore butter.

I like a tight fitting lead round ball to seal my chambers. Once I see that ring of lead I know they are sealed.
Ditto. Chambers don't need to be sealed with lube on top if you get a nice ring of shaved lead. That's what seals the chamber. The lube is optional, and helps to reduce black powder residue fouling. But it's messy and a PIA to use.

think I'm going without sealant next time. but I have had one chain fire many years ago. left a lead streak down the side. but we were in the boonies and no one got hurt.
thx for replies
lp

I like a tight fitting lead round ball to seal my chambers. Once I see that ring of lead I know they are sealed.

I go with a lead seal. If you want to put a treated wad behind the bullet and that will help with the fouling issue. I clean with hot water when I get home (front of the 47 walker, Cylinders all go in, I use a brass brsuh up the ROA bore to clean out, ie I don't soak the operating mechanism at all. Any dish soap will clean as a whistle.

That said, a caveat on Lead Ring. Some have tapered chambers. No lead ring with .454 but it does seal. You want to check that closely before you trust it.

ROA says .457 but it seals fine with a .454. .451 and below is iffy area and at least a lubed wad.

Keep your cylinder face clean of powder when loading and make sure that you have a good fit of your caps to your nipples and you should be good.

went to range yesterday and "bore butter" was so old it squirted out the back end of the tube. a mess. can someone give me some preferred brands of chamber sealant? know there's hundreds out there.
thanks
lp
I used Criso for years with complete satisfaction but got tired of wiping off my shooting glasses and spotting scope lens when shooting up wind. It's cheap, plentiful and works fine !

think I'm sticking with .457 next time. no sealant.
nice, neat ring of lead after seating.
thx

lp
Yah know I have never tried shooting percussion without lube over or under the ball and will have to investigate this method ! Love to hear different ways to skin the same cat. I'll let yah know what I find out of the no lube method.

I load 17 grains of Swiss 3f, a small scoop of grits, an over powder card over the grits made out of milk carton, a small dollop of tallow from Kodiak mountain goat, and a .457 ball atop of all that. I shoot 30 shots for score at our monthly club shoots and don’t have any accuracy issues caused by fouling. Read about a gentleman that shot and managed his loading in this way for NSSA competition and it seemed to work well for me as well. I’ll try to pass the link on if I’m smart enough to make it work.

thanks
lp
Just use a tight fitting ball, been shooting these things for years and with the right projectile havent had a double yet

I use a 50/50 mix of beezwax and Lambs Tallow ( you could substitue beef tallow, lard, crisco, etc) This makes for a stiff lube that I use over the ball. Most of it gets blown out of the barrel and believe it or not it's not very messy. I think this stiff lube acts like a lube cookie. I used to use the lube felt wad under the ball but I stopped after finding that my revolvers shoot a tighter group without a wad. YMMV.

I load 17 grains of Swiss 3f, a small scoop of grits, an over powder card over the grits made out of milk carton, a small dollop of tallow from Kodiak mountain goat, and a .457 ball atop of all that. I shoot 30 shots for score at our monthly club shoots and don’t have any accuracy issues caused by fouling. Read about a gentleman that shot and managed his loading in this way for NSSA competition and it seemed to work well for me as well. I’ll try to pass the link on if I’m smart enough to make it work.
kiss my grits :ghostly:

When I make a batch of paper cartridges, I dip the finished product in 50/50 lambs tallow and beeswax (melted). Just up to where the paper meets the ball. No issues other than shooting them faster than making them.

Back