• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers Early Lancaster Kit

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Well, it appears I have a small problem with the lock mortise on the kit, it's too long. I'm guessing I'm going to have to get another stock, or fill in the gap with a piece of wood. For what this kit cost me, I sure hope my only option is not to glue in a piece of wood... :cry:

Here are some photos. It's a gorgeous stock... crappy pics on the floor with a flash that don't really do it justice. It's got really good curl all the way down the rifle. First two are of the lock mortice with the lockplate sitting where it should be. That's a pretty big gap to fill at the front of the plate.

lockmortise1.jpg

lockmortise2.jpg

lockside1.jpg

butt.jpg

I think.....You have a L. Siler or Deluxe and you need a Golden Age. Did you buy all the parts together or order from different people? The Golden Age is for sure longer than the L. Siler and looks like it would fit nicely?
PD

I suggest e-mailing the pics to Barbie at Chambers and see what she says. I can't say enough about how great the customer service is at Chambers! Best in the business in my book.
One thing for sure is Chambers kits are not that poorly inlet. They are top of the line.
PD

[email protected]

I am building a Chambers Marshall Rifle that I received about three weeks ago and since I studied their catalog to pieces, I am 99% sure that you simply have a Siler Lock when you should have a Golden Age lock. The Chambers folks will probably set it straight in no time. Contact them before you do anything.

Dave W

Yeah, I e-mailed them the pics before I posted this... the purpose of the post wasn't to rant about the problem, but rather to show some pics of the new kit, as well as ask about the problem.

Jim e-mailed me back tonight and said exactly what you guys had eluded to. Barbie just pulled out a Deluxe Siler when she was gathering up the parts for the kit while I was there instead of a Golden Age. Simple enough mistake... the locks look almost identical. I put it back together, and will box it up and ship it back to them tomorrow, and he's going to get a Golden Age off to me.

I will also try to get the stock outside soon and take some good pictures in sunlight.

Whew! I was sweating bullets there for a bit. Now that I know the problem isn't with the wood, I can start getting the barrel inletted. :redthumb:

Glad to hear that. I would not have thought anything other than the situation would be made right given the chance. Jim has established Chambers as the leader in the industry, not only in quality of his parts but customer service after the fact.

Wood looks great! Good luck with the kit.

PD

Yep, it was me that pulled the wrong lock out of the drawer when packing all the parts. Blonde moment - just like chewing gum and walking I'm better at one or the other but not together!! :haha: I'm sorry for the confusion!! :redface: We'll get this fixed right away.

Thanks guys for the positive comments made in our defense! We always try our hardest to fix any problem that we are notified about. However if it doesn't come to us first, it does make it difficult to offer a solution. Luckily this board isn't quick to assume the worst when problem photos are posted. I love the internet, and the fact that we have boards like this that are of such a great service to novice and professionals alike. However, I hate it when an easy mistake is made public knowledge for every one to judge before the accused is given a chance to right the wrong. It is so easy for someone who doesn't know us or our company's policy on fixing problems to see a post like this and assume the worst.

So I beg of all of you old customers, current customers and future ones, whether you are ours or any of the other reputable suppliers in this business, before posting problems to the whole world - PLEASE give us a chance to fix them first. Please call us, write us, fax us - we will respond and I think I can speak for myself as well as several other companies when I say we will try our hardest to correct whatever the problem is. As my grandfather used to say - it's easier for folks to believe the worst than have faith in the good and it's only your honor that will persuade them otherwise.

Please believe me when I tell you that the intent of this post was not to cause harm or air any simple mistakes prior to giving you a chance to respond... I simply wanted to get a take on it from the very knowledgable folks here and show some pics. I was slightly concerned about it, mostly due to the fact this is my first experience both with you and with building a serious gun like this, and I just wasn't quite sure what to expect. If I embarassed you, or my post came across as an attempt to belittle your reputation, I honestly did not intend for that to happen, and I will be more careful in the future. :redface:

John

So I beg of all of you old customers, current customers and future ones, whether you are ours or any of the other reputable suppliers in this business, before posting problems to the whole world - PLEASE give us a chance to fix them first. Please call us, write us, fax us - we will respond and I think I can speak for myself as well as several other companies when I say we will try our hardest to correct whatever the problem is.

This is what makes America great :thumbsup:

P.S. And the 2nd Amendment ::

The new Golden Age lock arrived today. Man, talk about fast turnaround... I priority mailed them the Siler on Tuesday, and got back the replacement today! You just can't beat service like that. I even told them no rush, since I probably really wouldn't need it for a while... heck I don't even have the barrel completely down in the stock yet!

:hatsoff:

Back