• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

chambers edward marshall or Jaeger

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarnesRowan

40 Cal
Reaction score
l am curious how close is the chambers edward marshall kit to a jeager. I know most jeagers where short barreled but I have heard some had longer barrels.

any information is welcome just trying to expand my knowledge a little

l am curious how close is the chambers edward marshall kit to a jeager. I know most jeagers where short barreled but I have heard some had longer barrels.

any information is welcome just trying to expand my knowledge a little
The term jaeger is as generic as longrifle. Imagine trying to describe a longrifle. What were barrel lengths on longrifles? Oh, 30-50” or so. Calibers? About .32 to .75. Stock woods? Maple, cherry, walnut, some ash or persimmon. Locks? Percussion, flintlock.
Jaegers have similar variety.
The Marshall rifle, if stocked in European walnut, could pass as a European jaeger rifle from 1750-1770 or so.

When comparing the two rifles , 1737 Edward Marshal rifle to the standard Jager rifle , The Marshal rifle is considered a "Transitional Rifle" by modern collectors. The "Standard Jaeger" is recognized as the 28 " to 31" barrel large cal. gun , .50 to around .75 cal. . The copies of "Transitional rifles" seen today , possess barrels around 37" , and up. The 37" barreled E. M. trans. rifle , is as it is , due to the movement away from the faults of short barreled hunting rifles in the very early 18th century America. From what I have read , many European Jaeger rifles , were used to harvest wild game from elevated box blinds , with bait set at known ranges. Large calibers were the norm to prevent wounded game. Sounds logical to me. I've hunted deer in the Pa. late flint lock season, with .69 cal. and , .62 cal Jaeger type rifles. I had limited success due to needing a longer sighting plain. I stuck to the .62 cal. , but the 38" Transitional length barrel , made the Trans. length a real powerhouse for Pa. deer in open woods conditions. About five years ago both my hunting buddy and I had to transition back to light wt. .50 cal. rifles due to old age. He's 80 something , and I just turned 75. The last close copy of an Edward Marshal rifle I built was presented to it's new owner , ironically,he died 2 months later. You never know when? Thats' a possible explanation of the differences between the two schools of thought , as I know it. Hope this helps........oldwood

Latest posts

Back