• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New to me Colt Baby Dragoon Gen 2

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What would you like to see? Exactly..I know it may be hard to believe..lol..but it is what it is.As i have looked around on this topic, there have apparently been other examples that had a longer than needed Arbor…or an example that is done exact.

To be honest, it’s really not that serious..you seem to be , in complete disbelief,

I just don’t know , in this case what i could show? And how I could show it

I mean for god sakes…if i really wanted to lie about it…anyway…To brag,to the internet about this special “Unicorn” that i ,.Gino Delucia ,.were special enough to get, and the internet demanded pictures to prove that Unicorn exists in neverland.

Do you know how easy, I could in fact show you ,using my sophisticated measuring tools, how the barrel bore for instance, is exactly…not just close..EXACTLY..Dead set 0.001 to 0.001 as to where the Arbor stops it’s insertion?

You would then say…Damn..you lucked out Gino..ok end of conversation

And that would be a lot of work, for???

With that said, i just don’t know how I could show you proof, while someone holds the Camera? Who is not here…and ?? I show what? Lol

Well, I typically back up my claims with pics. Not necessarily "disbelief" but I haven't seen a 2nd Gen with correct length arbor in over 10 yrs . . . and I've probably seen more than you. Heaven forbid anyone learn anything from your posts . . . it would be, as you suggest, too much work . . . so no need for any more conversation.

Mike

Well, I typically back up my claims with pics. Not necessarily "disbelief" but I haven't seen a 2nd Gen with correct length arbor in over 10 yrs . . . and I've probably seen more than you. Heaven forbid anyone learn anything from your posts . . . it would be, as you suggest, too much work . . . so no need for any more conversation.

Mike

Mike,

Im not submitting my claims , to inform people that these pieces don’t suffer from this problem, regarding a Short Arbor..lol..

I clearly explained, this as well if you read my reply.In that while this issue is largely talked about in this community , what is also talked about is the Fact that some of these Revolvers, happend to come with Arbors that were a bit on the long side.

Some of them came, done correctly …Then it appears that more of them came with Arbors that are too short.

Again though, it is mentioned and I did not have to dig hard at all to find.That it appeared to be a Fit To Fit basis kjnd of thing.

With that, I was simply sharing the news here, without even making a new post, to inform everyone, that My particular example seems to be ok.Therefore anyone who learns an incorrect lesson from what I shared, would need to Stop…and read this page again, but with that said

I was reading an article this morning , about this whole second Generation thing starting in the mid 1950’s and when it came to light

And when Iver Johnson , took over

It was mentioned that, under his company these Revolvers had there parts “Hand Fitted” So maby that helped.

What I experienced however…is that I had 2 of these revolvers to choose from.Both being Second Generation Colt 3rd Model Dragoons, accept one was from the “C” Series, and one was from the “F” series

The “F” series in this case, was made far superior to the “C” Series example.Two other people as well ,felt the same way

Soo, as to not confuse anyone I will say my tests, are inconclusive, and I don’t wish to use this piece as a test example, and won’t be taking it apart and sticking my depth guage down its neck,more than I have already have done, as it is because it is too nice, and I am squeamish regarding that type of thing.

So to anyone reading this..these pieces are knows to have short arbors, and it is advised to have someone that is knowledgeable, to go over the revolver..

A big test, that i seem to see people do with these, is that they will pull the barrel off, and the cylinder , and then reinstall the barrel with the bottom of the bottom block of the revolver, facing them Bottom serial number facing them,and try and install the barrel back on the revolver and rotate the block down, to see if the barrel goes in further towards the frame.I have to say that this is not a good way to go about it, because a hole is never 100% round 180 degrees around ,and or the Arbor ..or a shaft, especially a taper shaft.

I tried this on a couple different Uberti’s , im that one barrel went on and down past the frame (Short Arbor?) hole too deep in barrel?

And another one, did not go down all the way, making it look like the arbor was too long…or maby the hole was too short?? I did not measure but..

Im not good at typing , and or proper grammer , clearly soo… I will end this conversation as inconclusive.Im going to say that I feel safe operating her and I am very happy with my purchase

I would like to add, in regards to making your own percussion Caps, using the Die that .22 reloader sells.Just to share a personal finding.

I read a post, were a person talked about using Sheets of Brass ,instead of sheets of processed Soda Cans, to use as material for making the caps, and with that said.

the thickness of brass sheets recommended , were 0.005 more than likely because the thickness of some soda cans that I measured happend to be 0.004-0.005

However, given the nature of Brass, being a bit harder than Aluminum with Brass having a MOHS scale rating of around 3 where aluminum has a MOHS scale rating of 2.5

I found that, using sheets of Brass with a thickness of 0.004 turned out to be ideal, and much easier on my tool.A sheet of 0.004 Brass felt roughly the same weight and pliability as a similar size sheet of aluminum can, measuring 0.005 for the most part,and this Cap tool Die , punches through the same way, as the can material while still resulting in an nicer, and still stronger form, compared to the Aluminum

I then , followed the formula of Duco Cement of 1 part to 4 parts Acetone as mentioned, and this formula is great.It completely penetrates the substance used for the caps, then hardens it.The caps remain filled while shaking around in a plastic bottle

Thanks to Mike I when I got my 47 Walker I was on the lookout for the short arbor.

Now I am a measure it type of guy, but the barrel assembly does not swing sideways on mine, locks up (no idea why, don't particularly care).

So I did what Mike recommended and add a shim and start checking the fit. I would up with a shim and the soda can shim and it was close, one more shim and too much (gap between the cylinder and the cone at around .008).

My only problem is that trying to make mental pictures of this stuff does not come easy. I am kind of a two dimensional guy to start with.

I have gone off track a few time but Mike is consistent and persistent and eventually I sorted it out and he was right. No question I defer to Mike because he is right.

Equally he was spot on on how to tune the bolt timing on a ROA for half cock (we had a great discussion about it). I was also not getting his point on the drag line on cylinder, finally did. Simple if stupid on my part not seeing what he was saying.

Now I don't know nuttin about anything other Colts type than my 47 Walker and what Mike said, it would have a short arbor and he was spot on. Flip is if Mike reports a short arbor on the Mastodon from 25,000 years ago, I am going with Mike on it!

I now have three 2nd Gen Colts; an 1862 Pocket Police, an 1862 Pocket Navy, and an 1851 non-Navy (Colt made 300 with a blank cylinder).

I think they are terrific.

Beside the gorgeous fit and finish I love the authentic Colt lettering, no Black Powder Warning, and NO ITALIAN PROOF MARKS!

Thanks to Mike I when I got my 47 Walker I was on the lookout for the short arbor.

Now I am a measure it type of guy, but the barrel assembly does not swing sideways on mine, locks up (no idea why, don't particularly care).

So I did what Mike recommended and add a shim and start checking the fit. I would up with a shim and the soda can shim and it was close, one more shim and too much (gap between the cylinder and the cone at around .008).

My only problem is that trying to make mental pictures of this stuff does not come easy. I am kind of a two dimensional guy to start with.

I have gone off track a few time but Mike is consistent and persistent and eventually I sorted it out and he was right. No question I defer to Mike because he is right.

Equally he was spot on on how to tune the bolt timing on a ROA for half cock (we had a great discussion about it). I was also not getting his point on the drag line on cylinder, finally did. Simple if stupid on my part not seeing what he was saying.

Now I don't know nuttin about anything other Colts type than my 47 Walker and what Mike said, it would have a short arbor and he was spot on. Flip is if Mike reports a short arbor on the Mastodon from 25,000 years ago, I am going with Mike on it!

Smokerr . . . you are crackin me up!!! 🤣
(but I do appreciate it!!)

Mike

Good, some humor is not a bad thing at all.

I may not be putting this correctly but I think the general idea is right and hat is off to someone that has gone that distance with all these BP variations.

As I tell my dentist when he asks me what I want to do, hey, I got one set of teeth, you have seen tens of thousands . You tell me what I should think!

Back