• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers kit question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddB

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I noticed that the barrels with the Chambers kits do not have the rear sight dovetail cut. Track of the Wolf will cut the rear sight if you have the gunsmithing done. Why do they not cut the dovetail for it?

Because your eyes might want/need that sight in a different location than my eyes. :thumbsup:

Take a small magnet like a piece of refrigerator magnet, put it on the muzzle & put the front sight on, then same on the rear. Shoulder the rifle & sight at a light or sky & slide the rear sight to where it has a clear sight picture for you, then move it 1" forward of that towards the muzzle, if you plan on keeping the rifle. Measure (and write it down) for reference or scribe the barrel where the sight goes.
:thumbsup:

Birddog6 said:
Take a small magnet like a piece of refrigerator magnet, put it on the muzzle & put the front sight on, then same on the rear. Shoulder the rifle & sight at a light or sky & slide the rear sight to where it has a clear sight picture for you, then move it 1" forward of that towards the muzzle, if you plan on keeping the rifle. Measure (and write it down) for reference or scribe the barrel where the sight goes.

Why do you move it forward an inch??

Because as you get older your eyesight will diminish & this gives you a little leeway & not have to move the sight for some years. Eyesight seldom gets better with age.
If you look at some older rifles that have been shot for many many years, you will see dovetails cut in the barrels with blanks put back in them & new dovetails cut & the sights moved down the barrel to get a better sight picture.

That's very interesting...thank you! :grin:

I may have, if left to my own, thought it was an adjustment to compensate for the rapid focus of our eyes to a sight picture. Much like when setting up a scope for given set of eyes...look quickly, adjust, look again quickly, adjust...

At 77 my eyes need some help and bringing the rear sight towards the muzzle yields a much more clear "sight picture" for me and many others and this is how I locate rear sights. The LR is complete w/o the bbl browned and holding the LR at the balance point, two choices are available...either to the breech side or to the muzzle side of my hand. Rear sights can be a pain in the hand when carrying if at the balance point. The breech side doesn't produce as clear a "sight picture" as does the muzzle side, so the muzzle side is nearly always chosen and the rear sight usually ends up opposite the tail of the entry pipe or slightly forward . This works well w/ LRs that have 42"- 46" swamped bbls but have also used this locating on "Hawken" style rifles w/ 34"-36" bbls and the buyers like what they see.....Fred

Birddog6 said:

THAT was a good one. Never think that way before. Magnets ”“ Of course. Its in the “Hard disc” now. Thanks.

Best from Denmark
Tony

flehto said:
At 77 my eyes need some help and bringing the rear sight towards the muzzle yields a much more clear "sight picture" for me and many others and this is how I locate rear sights. .....Fred

Fred, by the time I am 77 it appears my rear sight will be about 2" from the front sight on this 44" barrel !! :doh: The barrel will have so many dovetails in it the top flat will look like a sawblade !! :shocked2: :rotf: :rotf:

I'm aheadin' that way although so far I'm lucky, even w/ macular degeneration in my shootin' eye, to be able to hit somethings that I aim at. Putting the rear sight already at the entry pipe eliminates a few dovetails?.....Fred

Thanks. I was hoping to avoid cutting a dovetail but I guess I will. I guess the size depends on the sight to go in or is there a standard dovetail in rifles.

Ain't it true!!! When I was young(er), my rear sight could be let in on the tang...now that I'm nearly 60, the front and rear sights are damn near touching...not too much longer and the rear will be in front of the front sight!!!!

There really isn't any standardization for the size of the base of rear sights. The dovetail is typically cut to fit the base of the rear site that is chosen. There should be a lot of previous posts that have gone over this procedure. In fact, I think there was one just in the past week.

ToddB said:
Thanks. I was hoping to avoid cutting a dovetail but I guess I will. I guess the size depends on the sight to go in or is there a standard dovetail in rifles.

Even the standard ones I have found to not be the same. Thus I take a little off ALL sights I put on, that way if I ever change them I can fit another one to it.
If it is a big dovetail & you are at the max, then you have a problem. However, if you put in one that is cut down a tad & later find you want to use a smaller V in it or a U or whatever, you can just take a sight like it & make the appropriate V or whatever in it, shorten it a tad & fit it to the rifle. So I take about 1/32" off all of the front ones & about 1/16" off the rear ones I install.

For me, when I had my customs built. I of course was asked where to place the sights. One thing I did, was check where the balance point of the gun is. One PIA is the have that rear sight eating into your hand when you carry the gun. So, if possible, the sight goes ahead of my hand hold,closer to the muzzle, so it isn't digging into my hand when I carry it.

Back