• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Chambers Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J.M.

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After having a Chambers Fowler made and being very happy with it, I am thinking about having one of their rifles built. The Lancaster, Isaac Haines, York and Smooth Rifle all look very nice. I was wondering if anyone here has one and what your impressions are. I cant see the guns in person, so any insight is appreciated!

I am currently in the process of building my Chambers Early Lancaster Flintlock 54 cal Rifle. Excellent quality on the components (lock, stock & barrel). I am about half way through with my first build with an extimated 40 hours into it so far.

The reason I picked this rifle instead of one of the other ones is hard to pin down. The style and length of the barrel were probably the biggest determining factors. (My former boss who has built flintlocks from scratch was strongly in favor of rifles built with longer barrels).

I'm glad I decided on this rifle. But, thats not to say I wouldn't consider building one of the other types of rifles at some point in the future.

I have a left hand 54 Isaac Haines. It is the best balanced rifle that I own and is also the most accurate.

Personally, I prefer 44" bbls so my choice is the Chambers Early Lancaster. Have bult two and am presently 75% into the third.
The .54 cal. swamped bbl is slightly heavier at the muzzle than most but the balance is excellent. All the components are a-one and the inlets on all three have been error free. This "kit" is one of the better ones on the market. If there is a complaint...the standard wood on 2 of the "kits" was a little softer than expected but gave no problems. These "kits" when properly assembled make very comfortable shooters and the "White Lightning" TH liner ensures reliable and fast ignition. From what I've noticed, the Early Lancaster is a longer bbled version of the Isacc Haines.....Fred

The Haines in a .54, makes a fairly light, very well ballanced hunting gun.

All of Chamber's kits are the "best money can buy"

I am putting together a smooth rifle with a 50 caliber rifled barrel and also have a York rifle in 45 caliber waiting in the wings. Both of these are very fine. You can't beat Chambers for top quality parts.Both are light and nicely balanced.

Kar,

Tip's kits are good, but in particular, for the new builder, Jim's are quite a bit more refined.

Unlike Tip's ALL of Jim's are researched, and based on originals.

Can you build a great gun from one of Tip's??? Absolutely.

I"ve put together alot of kits, and Jim's are a cut above the rest. :applause:

I have a Chamber Early Virginia smoothrifle, with a Gets swamped oct barrel .62 bore. it handles/shoots great, I don't think a person could go wrong with a Chambers parts sets, the pic below is the back half of my gun,the barrel/lock was aged a bit with bleach I believe, it has brass furniture to play "safe" historical, nice maple stock with good figure, it is stained dark so the figure does not show well in a pic.I have not heard anyone sat anything negative about the Chambers guns or service.

P7060062.jpg

Guys, thanks for all the replies, you all have some nice firearms for sure!

Ditto what Joel Lehman and Dane said about the Haines in .54 caliber. I built one and I love it.

dane i dont know where you get your info on tip, but he does his research, and are as easy to build as jims. i mean whats the deal people, is it because tip doesnt have a web site? i mean if thats it why do we buid and shoot flinters?

karwelis

Tip has some neat kits, actually. He does the so-called "Dubbs" gun, and that one looks pretty good.

Which reminds me, I need to run down to Tips and pick up a couple of gun barrels. I'm about an hour's drive away.

Dixons is coming up in a few weeks and Jim and the family will be here for the event---you can talk with him personally if you are able to attend---Nothing like it! All the major builders and vendors will be there-----Dixons Muzzleloading Shop in kempton PA.

Went to Dixons last year. First time. Will not miss it again! One word says it all....Great!
Hope to see you there.

Latest posts

Back