• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Changing Nipples?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafsob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Cabela's Sportized Hunting Hawkens Carbine and am thinking of changing the nipple to a musket nipple. I am having a problem in trying to figure out what size nipple to use. The gun was made in Italy and should be a metric thread nipple, but don't know whick one (?).

Any thoughts or help on this folks?

Thanks

It's 6 x .75.
If you do go to a musket nipple make sure your hammer is striking dead center because it my not work as well on a musket cap.

Are you having ignition problems with #11 caps?

HD

If ou call any supplier they will know what size nipple your gun will use. Hunting Dawg has given you the measurement. Don't ever hesitate to go to your nearest auto repair center and ask them if they have metric thread gauges. Hell, you probably can find them for sale at the Auto Zone, or parts stores near you.

YOu don't need musket caps in your gun. Take an empty gun out into your back yard, or dark garage some evening, and fire off a percussion cap. You will easily see a flame coming out the muzzle at least 10 inches long, with standard( not magnum) caps. Musket caps are only needed, sometimes, to ignite substitute powders like Triple 7, which have a much higher ignition temperature than BP. Because members have had varied experiences using substitutes, or " subs ", depending on the lot purchased, and how long it takes them to use up a can of powder, subs are not recommended often on this site. Some people report find accuracy, and good SDV( Standard Deviation in Velocity- the shot to shot difference for a series of 5 or more shots using the same powder charges and components) using the subs. But most others do not get good accuracy with the subs, no matter what it is. Pyrodex has been around a long time, and it is much better now than it was 30 years ago. It also seems to have a longer shelf life, than 777 or other newer subs. So, Please Use Black Powder. If you can't find it locally, it can be ordered from suppliers you can find here in the Member Resources section you will find in the top box of the index page. Try both FFg, and FFFg powder in that .54. With that fast rate of twist, you may find 3Fg powder works best with your conicals, but 2Fg powder works better with round ball. Or, your gun may just prefer the powders the other way around. That is the fun part of shooting black powder rifles. They are all individuals, and you have to find out what they like. Know that your gun has been designed with a very fast rate of twist to use with conicals, and was not designed with RB in mind. I hope your shoulder is up to a steady diet of conicals.

The problem you are having may be as simple as the hammer face not striking the top of the nipple squarely, so that the edge of the nipple gets peened down on one side after a few shots, and you begin to have misfires. Put some lipstick, or cold cream, or grease on to top of the nipple, and then lower the hammer to transfer the substance to the face of the hammer. Cock the hammer back and take a look. If the transfer is not an even width ring that is a complete circle, your hammer is not hitting the nipple square. Use a new nipple, BTW, for this, so that you grind away the high spots on the face of the hammer to make it strike the nipple square from the first shot to the last.

You will need to buy a small diameter grinding bit usually available at hardware stores for Dremel Tools. You can used a handdrill and don't have to buy a Dremel tool, although they are nice additions to your workshop. Grind away the face of the hammer where the lipstick appear after each trial. put a new, even layer of lipstick on the nipple, and try the hammer on it again. If you still don't have a full circle, keep grinding away the part where the grease does touch. That is the high spot. When you get to the point that you have a full ring on the face of the hammer, take some paper towel, fold it over, and put it over the nipple, cock the hammer, and release the hammer to fall normally. It should make a punch-like circle on the toweling, and may even cut through part of the bottom layer of the toweling. Take a close look at the paper toweling. The width of the impression of the top edge of the cloth should be the same all around the circle. If it isn't, you have some more grinding to do on that hammer face, but you are close to being done.

Standard #11 caps should do all the igniting you need using Black Powder. If you insist on using subs, then go to the magnum caps. Musket caps should be used in larger caliber guns for which they were designed, and not on a .54, IMHO.

I did this in reverse but then I usually do everything bass ackwards anyway. I replaced the musket nipple on my Zouave for musket caps with one to use #11 caps (#11 nipple has musket threads). It shoots as reliably with #11 as it did with musket caps and cheeper too. :thumbsup:

I had a problem w/ My GPR And Lyman Plains Pistol. (same company Investarms) The nipples they put on are to large in diameter, so the cap doesn't seat all the way down. You can do 2 things.

1. buy a new higher end nipple. Hot Shot is what I bought works great.

2. Chuck your original nipple in a hand drill w/ tape protecting the threads and file/sand where the nipple sits till you get a good fit.

I suggest both, shoot the Hot Shot and keep the revamped one for a spare.

No need to change to Musket Caps. Mine fires every time the hammer falls, wether its real BP or Pyrodex (Which works just great in ALL my guns, it wouldn't still be around if it were junk like some would like you to believe) :thumbsup:

WI Smoke

Don't do it Rafsob. Waste of time. Just use reg. #11 caps and REAL BP, not subs. I have taken lots of game (deer, turkey, Squirrels) in your area. (many years ago) with the above. My Son who lives in Williamsburg has your same rifle and has had no problems with #11 and BP. Good luck :hatsoff:

Thanks for the responses guys. In the past iA have hunted with an inline for deerhere in Virginia. A friend of mine told me that it would be a good idea to switch tothe musket nipples for ease of operation. He said it was easier to handle the larger musket nipples while in the field and under stressed conditions.

As far as any problems with my current nipple, there are none. It shoots great with no misfires or other problems. I think I will wait and try hunting with the #11 nipple and check it for myself. :grin:

buy a good ted cash capper and that will eliminate the handling problems, They ain't cheep around $20.00 but Will pay for it's self with the price difference of the musket caps compaired to 11's. around here no 11's are alot easier to find also

I couldnt find a Hot Shot nipple in 6x75mm for my Lyman. I looked everywhere. I was told TC dosent make one in that thread. I picked up a few stainless Spit-Fire nipples from Dixie. Thay work great no misfires yet.
Frank

Those spit fire nipples from Dixie will work great. I put one on my GPR over 20 years ago and it still works like a champ :thumbsup: .

Latest posts

Back