• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

CHEAP PISTOLS ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montanadan

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I own a few pistols and revolvers. I purchased Traditions 32cal crockett pistol to go with my crockett rifle. Overall fit and finish not to bad(118.00), the trigger was Just Terrible!(no set trigger)good half inch of creep. So pull the lock and trigger apart. polish up the lock(mainly the the sear and spring) make sure nothing was dragging to badly in the lock. Just made everything nice neat-n-smooth. Traditions has ground the trigger to short where it engages the arm of the sear. The trigger is brass, so silvered on a piece of hardened steel(to build the trigger back up). Polished the arm of the sear,the steel on the trigger. Re-adjusted the spring for half cock and full cock. Nice, clean,crisp, and smooth trigger(no creep). Went to the range, 10grns of PYRO.P,.311rb,.012 patch. First shot 10 ring(25 yds off hand),the next 5 shots all in the 10 ring.( I am not this good). Take this pistol to our monthly shoot(everyone is laughing),so I take 5 shots, 5 in the 10 ring. So now, everyone is shooting this pistol, until I ran out of balls.(Kind of like the Crockett rifle). Now quite a few of of the guys want one( so now do I get laugh, or did I just get a good one?). I posted this not to brag, but find out if this is the NORM, or did I just get Lucky? Respectfully Montandan...(If I got lucky,it is a first) ever!)

WELL-I get to answer my own question. Just opened Traditions 45cal Pioneer(looks like a Crockett),and when you think stuff can not possibly be any worse, THINK AGAIN! Traditions really out did themselves with this pistol, MY OH MY!( THE I TOLD YOU SO GUYS,are really laughing there rear ends off). 14lbs of trigger pull is probably understatement, pull the lock. Guess what? The wood is not in-letted enough, so everything is dragging on the wood. The lock is bound up( this is just sitting on the bench). Hey everything can be fixed( I just hope it is during my lifetime),NO I am not going to send it back. The other thing(there are many)I think it has the same barrel as the Crockett , re-drilled to 45cal. Well, I have to live up to my end of the bet.I will tell you later about the bet(it involves wearing a dress if I lose). My only thoughts are, it is a shame, a new shooter could have bought this pistol, and could have very well ended his or her black powder experience.. Respectfully Montanadan(who is going to get fitted for his new dress)..I think I can fix this, or is it just my foot inserted where it does not belong?

I think if I were you, I would send it back in principle. Does this company think that they can pass off inferior merchandise just because it's too much of a hassle for their customers to complain, and believe me I have been getting the run around from their customer service department for about two months now.

I have sworn off any Traditions products for good now that I have seen how much the care about satisfying their customers.

My traditions pioneer came with 3/4 inch metal shavings in the bottom of the barrel. Seems to function properly but I'll know for sure this weekend. I'll report on it's function later. I wrote to Traditions and told them about the metal shavings, last month, still no reply.

FLASH-IN-THE-PAN-The more I thought about this I think you are right about sending it back,from the point of accepting less than good workmanship. I have a Trapper pistol that is very well put together pistol for a mass produced item, shoots very well. I did not understand why a lot shooters here at this forum really had a lot of negative responses to Traditions products, I do now. I can fix this pistol with out a lot of money involved(under ten dollars), there will be a least 6 to 8 hrs of time(maybe more) involved to correct majority of problems. I get your point...Traditions should at least present a product that is useable out of the box. The post Cheap Pistols was written tongue in cheek for all to enjoy and maybe get a chuckle or two? Also as warning to those who let PRICE be a Major deciding factor in their purchase. I am E-MAILING TRADITIONS and sending a registered letter(at least I know they received it). well I have to go pick out my material for the dress.....Be safe. good shooting..Resectfully Montanadan(who never gives up..the bet is not over!)

OLDMASTER- I would not expect much of a reply from Traditions. However,seding an E-Mail or Letter at least might make them take a look at their production problems. I think because of their pricing(nitch in the market?)probably will not see much change in customer relations or production procedures. Kind of reminds me of Pietta a few years ago. Well I hope all goes well for you and your pioneer..Respectfully Montanadan..The Crockett pistol was worth every penny(at least the one I received is)

Montanadan; Your right. I will send them another message of my dissatisfaction with their products quality(?)Don't give up on that bet. Maybe if enough of us complain to them and stop buying their products, they will wear the dress. Although for some of us born with a wooden spoon in our mouths, it's hard to save up for a better quality firearm. We pays our money and takes our chances I guess. Keep your powder dry....Oldmaster

OLDMASTER-I actually own a few Traditions firearms(2-rifles)(3-pistols single shot)some smoothing here-n-there(lock and trigger)they have shot really well. I was surprised at the Pioneer pistol,because the way it was in the box I really do not believe it would have functioned at all.I could not get the hammer fall using both hands on the trigger(this is not a joke). I do not judge folks by their firearms,or the money spent on them(not my job). I actually like the Traditions that I own, but at the same time, they owe it to their customers to produce a reasonable product,that can be used with reasonable satisfaction. The dress bet, has to do with shooting this pistol(not with traditions warranty). I did the E-MAIL.and sent the registered letter to them. I already repaired the lock,the trigger will require a bit of thought on my part(at my age thinking can get me into trouble). I was bragging about the .32 Crockett, so in a way this serves me right. More importantly I did not want new shooters to become discouraged or let price(only) determine what they buy. By-the-way I would not trade or sell the Crockett..I like it that much..Respectfully Montanadan(all this typing and thinking really hurts)

MONTANADAN, This is my first traditions firearm. Just liked the look of it. I bought it from October Country. They are super people. Anyway, I will be shooting the pistol for the first time this Sunday after my monthly BP match at the range near me. We'll see how she does. I understand your point about shying away new shooters, but I've seen much more expensive firearms that need work right out of the box too. There is no telling when you might get a "lemon". I am glad to hear you like the Crockett because it interested me but I didn't know anyone that had one. Guess I'll buy it under another name seeing as how I'm going to give them my two cents about the pistol, then turn around and buy a rifle. They'll be laughing their heads off. :haha:

What is the twist of your 32 cal. Traditions pistol? I had one that was 48" twist. Could not get an acceptable group at 50 yds. MidSouth catalog now shows them as 16" twist.

OLDMASTER- I have repaired the Pioneer,I have not had the time to shoot it yet. I have both the Crockett pistol and rifle and I really like them both. The crockett pistol is the easiest pistol(for me)to shoot. I would buy the Traditions firearm under the same name, perhaps some leverage? I have read some other posts that claim they have great customer service. I shoot CAS part-time so these pistol problems are not really new to me, fellow club member came over last night with his new crockett pistol. It was a lot better, than either of the last two I purchased. I will let you know how how my Pioneer shoots , I am still trying to find the sweet spot on the Traditions Penn. rifle.(50 cal). Like you said you throw your money down and take your chances. Let me know how it turns out for you...Respectfully Montanadan

hmeir4799-Mine is definetly 1 in 16 twist.It does say 1 in 48 on the barrel(same barrel as the Crockett rifle just shortened up). I have not had the time or weather good enough for me to try this pistol at 50yds. I am not sure I can shoot a good group at 50 anyway(old guy syndrome). Fortunately they are some young guys in our club that can still see, so maybe not all is lost. I will give it a try if the weather co-operates and let you know how it turned out. Respectfully Montanadan( who thinks maybe these golden years are not so golden..maybe silver?)

I put mine together from a kit 1 1/2 years ago and on a good day when I'am shooting good i shoot 75-85pts out of 100 at 25 yards my best 91XX. mine did need a little tuning but shoots very good. as far as the shavings and the other problems with a gun that came preassembled I'd have sent it back with a jar of vasoline, :m2c: :results:

MONTANADAN. Well I took my "Pioneer" pistol to range today and after the monthly rifle shoot, I set up a target and she works just fine. Shoots a little low, but fires smooth and every time. Guess I got a good one. Not bad considering all the rain we've had lately. Very unlike Arizona, but we need the water.I was afraid it would affect powder but it didn't. :D

OLDMASTER- Glad to hear your Pioneer worked well. I have repaired mine, no complaints now. I have not had a chance to fire it yet, soon as the wind speed drops below 40mph, might give it a try. No rain, No snow, Just dry windy and dusty. looks like another drought year for us(#6). Did you use a .015 patch ? Respectfully Montanadan

MONTANADAN Yes I did use a .015 patch. Nice snug fit, and very comfortable to shoot. Next month I'll try it in the club pistol match and see how I do. Pistol works fine so the only thing wrong could be my aging vision. I hope your pistol will work fine for you. :redthumb:

Back