• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cheap powder measures

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NAA_Silent

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was reading thru the charts sub forum and found the casing size to volume chart. I decided to try and go one better and build a custom set of measures.

63B7D4B8-51EF-4BF3-867A-36032D510429-49301-000002912E768322_zpsd017dc3c.jpg

9mm trimmed to 15 grains
45ACP trimmed to 30 grains
45 Colt trimmed to 40 grains
243 Win trimmed to 50 grains
30-06 trimmed to 70 grains

The handles are just copper wire wrapped and soldered to the brass. I am going to scribe the volumes into the cases tomorrow. They are working very well, and should last a lifetime.

Good idea. Have you tried any .444 or .45-70 brass? The wider rim on them would probably make your soldering a little easier.

Unfortunately, I do not have those cases in my brass supply. I figure with the range I have, I can do about any configuration of loads fairly easy. I don't plan to go over 70 grains at the moment. Soldering the copper wire to the brass was super easy anyway. I just used a plumbers torch o heat the casing and the wire and flowed the solder.

This thread got me wondering. I've got a .410 metal casing that, if measured reasonably well, looked to measure about 100 gr. +/-

One cheap method I use is to take a short piece of copper tubing and pinch off one end in a vice. I pour in the amount of powder i want to use, mark the tube, and cut it off at at that mark. Sometimes I drill a hole in the flattened part and add a leather tie.

Regards,
Pletch

I'm trying to figure out how you got 70 grains in a 30-06 - expand it, maybe? I was just toying with one last weekend and could barely get 60 grains of 3F in it. I like the handles and will try that myself.

I used 3f Pyrodex P and my brass adjustable measure to set the case limits. I used my belt sander to shorten the cases to match the appropriate amounts. the 30-06 case was fire formed in my Garand, then cut off just proud of the shoulder then sanded in. Perhaps the difference is in it not being sized before making a measure out of it?

Free turkey bone from a thanksgiving dinner with a whittled wood plug.

85 grains.

IM000642.jpg

For many years I carried a .45 Colt case on a strap. 42 grains for small game or two dips for 84 grains for deer. Worked great.

I also have made a measure from cane for my .32. For what it cost it is wonderful...................watch yer top knot...............

I don't know, with all the time and work involved they may be cheap in cost. But the time involved in finding the casings, buying a marker, and finding and and solding , and cost of propane, and then having all those small cartridges filling up my chest, it's just easier for me to spend 10 bucks and buy a adjustable measure and toss in the range chest.

Stumpkiller, niffty idea replacing the plug on that ball pouch with an antler powder measure! Definitely going to make one for mine, thx for the idea! :doh: :thumbsup:

Back