• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cheap roundballs?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Regulis7

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for a good place to buy .490 roundballs online. Since I am not set up for casting yet I have to rely on store bought balls, locally this is costing $10.99 per 100!

I have found a few places cheaper, but once S&H is added its right back to the same price. Any info greatly appreciated.

Regulis7

try wal-mart when in season at bout 8.00 fer 100....just picked some up in dec on clearrence fer 3.00 a box and bought two....also try gander mountain don't know if they carry year round....will find out tonight and let ya know..................bob

Regulis7
I been looking for cheap round balls too. Your right
about the freight.
Try Midsouth Shooters Supply:www.midsouthshooterssupply.
com
They are selling.490 by Hornady for $6.67-100ct 177grs.
you'll have to check on shipping for your area. Another
place to try is: Cains[url] Outdoors--www.cainsoutdoor.com[/url]
Cast Round Balls : .490--100ct $6.40--Check freight
for your area.
Try those places and Good Luck!
Mtn-Man2u (Steve) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the links, looks like I will be ordering some round ball and a few other items from Mid South, this will help bring the cost per 100 balls down.

Our local Wal Marts dont stock round ball, just sabots and Maxi conicals. I dont shoot either but the Maxi's are tempting at $3 per box on clearence.

I did get some other items on clearence, Pyrodex RS $5 per lb, brass powder measure $1.50, Hot Shot nipple $2 and a aluminum rod for $5.

Thanks again for the links.

Regulis7

Regulis,

Where in SC are ya?

Might have a cheap solution.

I am in the Florence area.

YMHS,
CrackStock

Regulis7:
For about $20.00 you can buy a LEE 490 RB mold from midsouth, go to your local tire company to get some wheel weights, find an old cast iron pot and a camp stove. Then make your own. Small investment, big reward. :thumbsup:
rex (westcoastBPgramps)
BP can be fun

Black Jack Hill sells cheap roundball, maxiball and REAL conicals. Their shipping is free and they are nice people to work with.

A cheaper way is of course casting your own, but some of us do not have the facilities to do so. This is a good alternative...

If you were set up to "cast", you could git 100 "POUNDS" of roundballs fer 'bout what it's cost'n you fer'a "box of 100" right now!!

YMHS
rollingb

Please don't wheel weight for rifled bores.

Roundballs cast from wheelweights are a tiny fraction "lighter" then those cast from pure lead,.... however they make up for any "lack of weight",..... with "more penetration!!

........ and are jest as accurate in my rifles as pure lead, for hunting purposes!!

YMHS
rollingb

Thanks for the link to Black Jack Hill Huntin and Fishing supplies. I orderd some 50 cal .490 round balls for $9, this is with free shipping.

As far as casting, it will be mid/late spring before I can get set up because I have to tear down an old tool shed and build a new one. Part of my plans for this is a place for casting round ball and reloading my cartridge ammo. Until then I am forced to use store bought items and as everyone knows it can become expensive if you shoot a lot.

Regulis7

Regulis,

I am also in South Carolina. I have a box full of moulds and we might get together sometime so you could try it out.

PM if interested.

CS

I bought some round balls,.490,swaged,for $4.49 for a hundred at Gander Mountain about 2 weeks ago.They were made by the company that makes the "bullet sinkers".The package was just a cheap cardboard box with the balls in a small ziplock bag.Saved on packaging cost that way.

Indiana immigrant, I checked with the Gander Mountain's web site, they don't do mailorder any more. Does that box of round balls you got at Gander Mountain have a address of where the round balls where made? The price you paid wasn't a bad price. I guess I'll keep looking.
Thanks Mtn-Man2u :)

mtn-man2u,the address of the company that makes those round balls that Gander Mountain sells is:Bullet Weights,Inc,Box 187,Alda,NE 68810.Web site is[url] bulletweights.com[/url].
I don't know if they will carry all the time or not,I didn't ask.I don't have to worry about mailing because I have a store almost up the street from me.
While we are on the subject of Gander Moutain,I read just 2 days ago about a class action suit brought against them for not telling the truth when they went public on the stock exchange last year.I am wondering if they lose it if they will be around anymore.It's my favorite store.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought a few boxes of swaged RB today at a local sporting goods store (70 miles away... had to take trip to the big city for other shopping) - $6.95 for 100 Hornady .490s and $5.00 for 100 Speer .350s. I have to add about a $1.00 to those prices if I buy them at my local (local) sporting goods store.

If I were you, I would just take a trip to Wally World and stock up. :m2c:

I don't know about .490 prices, but I just stopped at Cabella's yesterday & bought a 5 pound box of Hornady 000 buckshot for $12.49 The label says it is .350 diameter. That calculates out to 546 balls at a weight of 64 grains each & cost $.023 per ball. Of course I had to pay 6% PA sales tax. That still makes for pretty cheap shooting!::

Back