• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Check your CCI caps before you buy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's because they are metric sized.
I’d like to hear more about ‘metric sized’ #10 and #11 caps. Here is a chart I believe originally posted by @Grenadier1758 some time ago. Do you have information on ‘metric’ caps.
1697076378922.jpeg

I’d like to hear more about ‘metric sized’ #10 and #11 caps. Here is a chart I believe originally posted by @Grenadier1758 some time ago. Do you have information on ‘metric’ caps.
View attachment 260274
I don't go by someone's chart, but rather how much tighter they fit on my nipple. Obviously they are smaller than my cci #11 caps that need to be pinched in order to stay on, vs rws caps that need to be fully seated by pushing them on with the hammer to fully seat them.

Your chart shows them being smaller as I stated that they are. I'd suspect these are rough measurements.

I bought 2 caps from Cabela's, they were "D" rated, when I opened the cans they stunk so bad of mineral spirits I had to leave the cans open for several days to dry out.

No more mail order from the box stores. I now check cans when I see them, and only buy "A" or "B" rated ones.

And yes each can has a letter on it, As are best Ds are worst.
Johnny Tremain
I bought 2 caps from Cabela's, they were "D" rated, when I opened the cans they stunk so bad of mineral spirits I had to leave the cans open for several days to dry out.

No more mail order from the box stores. I now check cans when I see them, and only buy "A" or "B" rated ones.

A couple of my cans are marked "rev C" and others "rev D". Is this what you are referring to? How do you know that is a quality indicator?

So now we know that the letter is a quality rating and not lot information or part of a date code. Please share where you found this information about the letter indicating a rating.

Last edited:
A couple of my cans are marked "rev C" and others "rev D". Is this what you are referring to? How do you know that is a quality indicator?
In my line of work, seeing "rev C" immediately makes me think it denotes "revision level C" of the can graphics. Any change to the logo, colors, wording, fonts, etc. would merit a change from "rev C" to "rev D".

I got a dozen #11 regular and six Magnum tons from Scheels in the last few months or so; the regulars are where working fine, no duds. After reading these recent thread I pulled out the unopened mags to check - all six tins looked normal, one had the primer fallen out....I can't go shooting right now but wanted to see for myself; I pulled 6 caps at random (one from each tin) - every on had a good healthy POP.
WOW!!!! You got eighteen TONS of caps????!!! No wonder no one else can find any! 😂 Sorry, but I just couldn't help myself! I hate that auto correct as much as the next guy.

i cant find any cci caps anywhere . Even online . What am I missing ?
They are few and far between. Ive not seem them in months, and when I did I got low grade ones.
I invested $90 in a cap maker and enough fixins to make 2k caps.
I also had to buy a six pack for the aluminum cans.

Went shooting yesterday with CCI magnum caps. 5 of 10 required 2 strikes, probably 1 in 10 never fired. So yeah, I was lucky enough to buy 7 tins from somewhere that are not reliable. Do not have this issue with this gun nipple configuration with the RWS caps. I’ll suffer through it, but it is irritating.

Went shooting yesterday with CCI magnum caps. 5 of 10 required 2 strikes, probably 1 in 10 never fired. So yeah, I was lucky enough to buy 7 tins from somewhere that are not reliable. Do not have this issue with this gun nipple configuration with the RWS caps. I’ll suffer through it, but it is irritating.
Wow. But can't check something in a bubble wrap packaging!

Last edited:
None of mine were "sealed" , just popped the plastic shell open and open the tin.
CCI-11-Magnum-Percussion-Caps--600x600.jpeg
And when you fumble and spill the contents all over the floor do you just walk away and pretend that "the other guy did it"? Like was said before "I'll take my chances". The only bad caps that I bought was from Navy Arms back in 1970.;):thumb::)

What with the past shortages of powder & caps, they might start selling "fill it yourself" un-primed caps! :p I do seriously respect the guys who make their own, though.

For just a mere $45 you can buy a tin of 100 Remington Mag $10 at my local 'Gun Show', and he had a tin of CCI under it.
Better hurry, he says "That is the going price, you can't find those these days...."

...btw; he's the same guy that was selling one pound of GOEX last year for $50, he said "They don't make it any more"
(did I mention he is from California?)

**on another matter: Stock up on ammo while you can, a re-loader informed me the price is about to Skyrocket again! This 'D' administration has just banned the manufacturer ingredients of a key ingredient required for making powder (non black powder, all the other stuff)

Back