• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Checkered Pistol Grips During The Civil War.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dispatch

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have seen some actual examples(the Gettysburg museum has many on display), how 'unusual' would it have been to have had checkered grips on a revolver during the civil war? :hmm:

Just skimming thru my FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE, the Remington Beals 2nd Model (1858) had them.
The Benjamin F. Joslyn Army (1861), Massachusetts Arms Co. Adams Patent (1857-1861) and the Jacob Rupertus Army Model (1859) all had checkered grips.

The Army and Navy pistols made by most of the better known companies had plain, uncheckered grips.

The Remington Beals 2nd Model was a civilian gun.
That is not to say they never found their way into battle during the Civil war because many of the soldiers and officers provided their own sidearms.

I believe I'm correct in saying(after researching), the Le Mat actually came with checkered grips for real during the war of Northern oppression, as it does today from Pietta.
www.pietta.us/products/Muzzleloadinguns/LeMat/gallery/LeMat_05.html

Is there anything more beautiful than a Le Mat? I wonder what the boys in Gray, who fought the war of Northern oppression thought of the Le Mat? :hmm:

Adams,Kerr& a very rare option on London made Navies,all these had checkered grips& used by CSA.Acording to Joseph G Rosa's COLONEL COLT LONDON,a very good ref. book. :thumbsup:

Dispatch said:
Is there anything more beautiful than a Le Mat? I wonder what the boys in Gray, who fought the war of Northern oppression thought of the Le Mat? :hmm:

Those very few who could afford it thought very highly of it. I actually had an original in my hands once, it balanced reasonably well for somethng so big, but it was pretty heavy.

Back