• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cheek slapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a Pedersoli Kentucky that did that. The "Roman nose" type of comb just smacks me right in the cheek bone big time. Sold it. Straight-combed rifles generally don't do that to me. You can try a different hold...cheek weld aft or move buttstock off shoulder and onto upper bicep, or vice versa.

Some guns just don't fit.

First of all, welcome to the forum. Well @akroguy beat me to it. As he says some guns just don't fit. I don't know what the resale value of your rifle is but a new one retails for $1k. In the long run you'd probably be happier with a different gun.

most slappers have a to short LOP
That has been my experience also, although a too long LOP (length of pull) will also slap ya. Easy to correct a short LOP with a strap on butt pad, the only way to correct a long one is to cut the stock & re-fit the butt plate.
LOP is why some guns don't fit ya.
Edit: Back in 2013, I won the bid on 2 Hatfield rifles. A 45 cal Flintlock that fit me like a glove and it is a very good shooter. The other one was a 54 cal percussion and it had a long LOP and it would slap me hard even with mild loads. In 2017 I decided to gift that one to the officer that took my place as Lt. when I retired. It fit him like a glove and didn't slap him. He harvested a nice buck with it that season if memory serves me.
https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/one-of-two-hatfields-i-received-for-my-birthday.87813/

Last edited:
You can try to add a oft cheekpiece to your rifle. I've used them for trapshooting and although they may not look PC they do allow you to shoot comfortably.

My Traditions Kentucky rifle in 50 cal. slaps my high cheek bone pretty good. More from the bench than from offhand shooting. For casual target shooting I run a 50 grain load of 3F with a PRB and bump it up to 60 grains for hunting.

I have a .54 that i built following the DeerstalkerT school of design. sucker would give me a black eye from cheek to my ear. couple shots and i felt like my ear was coming off.
pulled it apart and locked it in my vise, grabbed a rasp and lowered the comb. can't say how much but when i lay my face on that cheek piece now my eye is lined up with both sights. hardest thing i had to over come building long rifles was the fear of taking off too much wood.
now i get the stock egg shell thin on the forearm and follow the lines mostly all the way to the butt plate.
long way of saying lower the comb.

Back