• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

cheek slapper

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn't see this idea in the mix so I will throw it out there.

Put some lead in the butt. I have a cheek slapper I have tamed with a bunch of lead under the butt. Still slaps a bit, but no where near as hard as it did pre lead.

I filled my patch box with small caliber balls to accomplish the same thing. Because they are somewhat loose and able to roll around, they also act somewhat similarly to those mercury-filled recoil reducer tubes used on modern guns.

You may want to be cautious with the loose balls in the patch box as they may cause stock splitting after prolonged usage.
This was found to be a problem when used in butt stocks in lieu of mercury recoil absorbers.
What cause this was that the shot or balls would jam together from recoil inertia and wedge radially against each other thus causing radial pressure outward resulting in some stock cracking.
Not sure your situation would produce the same dynamic but would be worth a weather eye look out.

That's an interesting cautionary note. Thank you. Maybe I'd be better off just casting a big slug of lead to put in there instead. Or doing the equivilent with small shot and glue. With tin it would be possible to just cast it in to the patch box itself without worrying about scorching the wood.

One of my Renegades in 54 is a cheek slapper too and I have to really mount that gun perfect or I get a bite from it every time if I don't slide back a little on stock on this one. My other Renegade with TC Custom shop barrel 31 inches long in roundball twist 1-66 twist doesn't do that to me. Barrel is about 4 to 5 inches longer and I think that makes a difference maybe. Same stock or appear to be just exactly alike. I should trade stocks and see if that makes a difference.

Latest posts

Back