• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

choosing style of sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Am building a 40cal ,32 inch barrel in the hawkin style for squirrel and small game. What would be a good all round sight. Am an old guy with old guy sight

I have a bunch of ML rifles, and for me the easiest to see is the notched buck horn that comes on Lyman's Great Plains Rifle. That said the rifle I shoot best is an 1861 Springfield with military issue sights. Go figure. My 61 year old eyes don't see any of them very well anymore.

Jumpy,
You might try putting a small aperture on a dovetail base for the rear and then use a post and bead, with a hood, for the front. If it doesn't work you can easily change it to a more conventional rear with no damage done.
Mark

I agree with ihuntsnook. I put the Leman primitive rear sight on my .54 GPR flinter. The sights are bold and easy for my eyes to pick up. The thick Lyman front sight matches it perfectly. It's easy to keep focused when hunting in the woods. Sometimes the thinner front sight blades tend to fade away in the branches. You can still get good accuracy with these sights. My smallest group was 3/4" at 100 yards with that .54 GPR flinter, but that was a GOOD day.

I have a Pedersoli that came with a front blade and rear buckhorn sights. Like you, my old eyes didn't cooperate anymore and after about 4 years, I switched out to fiber optic. It just about killed me to put fiber on that rifle :shake: , but at age 61 the eyes just weren't what they used to be. I also changed out the fiber color on the front sight from red to green. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do I guess.

Dixie Gunworks used to sell this sight but they quit carrying it several years ago.

It would look pretty strange on a longrifle but it suits my Schuetzen just fine. :grin:
PEEP.jpg

Back