• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clanger/Spinner for Back yard Range?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strask

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a spinner or some sort of clanger for a little informal fun shooting in my backyard. I was hoping to get something with a 2" and a 4" disc, either seperately or together on the same target.

I plan on shooting .36 to a .54 with both target and hunting loads from 25-100 yards. Does anyone know if any of the commercially available ones will stand up ie cabelas or Bass Pro etc or where I can get one if not?

Thanks

Digger

The targets designed for centerfire pistol would probably hold up OK if you load down a bit when the target is less than 50 yards. Please be sure you have a adequate back stop as ricoshet can easily happen.

"clanger or spinner" tells me that you are not uncomfortable with lead splater. and so...
6k4glzl.jpg

6k90u35.jpg

these are some that I made for our club range,.45 ACP friendly. I copied the design from self closing safety gates where I retired from.
Just a suggestion....
R

If you are going to use this design, tilt the plates forward at 15 degrees so that the lead ricochettes downward, into the ground for safety. If it sprays upward, or out to the sides, it can do a lot of damage a long way away. I have seen lead ricochette off steel bang plates come all the way back to the 100 yard firing line. You will need very thick steel to stand up to to even light loads from your .54. The closer you shoot at such targets the faster the target will bowl, and finally punch through, as the repeated strikes will first work harden the surface, and then make them brittle.

I have a friend who makes these kinds of targets for companies to sell, and If you are truly interested I can put you in touch with him directly. I am not sure you will save money, but he can pick the right steel for your targets and build them so they will be safe.

personally, after years of building and shooting at bang plate targets of all sizes and shapes, and with all kinds of guns, I prefer to have the targets hand from chains, with the chains mounted to the back and about 25% of the way down from the top edge of the plate. That puts the correct tilt to the target, to deflect lead downward into the ground. After a couple of years, you can take a shovel and pick up the majority of the lead from the ground and use it to cast new balls. Swingers are nice when you are shooting a .22 rifle that is semi-automatic and offers you rapid reloading. Those kind of impact plate swingers ARE available from the sources you mention, and they do work. I have used a tree to teach kids to shoot .22 handguns at short distances, and they had a ball. Again, you don't want the bullets bouncing back at the shooters. Tilt those plates down.

Digger,

Keep in mind that you'll want the designer of the steel plates to know IF you're going to blast those plates with a 500 grain conical out of that 54, or are you only using a PRB of half of that weight?

I would think that steel capable of handling say a .308 (7.62mm NATO) out of a M-1A would be O-K for full power hunting loads with a PRB. Try Paul's connection first! If you want to get an idea of what some of the steel plates look like, log on to this site that's run by local club members that are friends of mine: [url] www.worldclasssteel.com[/url] .

This CLANG'S for YOU!

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Thnaks to you all for the info. I plan on just shooting PRB at the target. You all gave me some great Ideas Thanks a bunch.

Scott

I've been shooting at a .25 inch steel plate wired to a cable gate across a dirt trail on my hunting property. It's rusty and not very pretty at all, but I've shot conicals and round ball at it at 50 yards without putting so much as a dent in it.

Someone else shot my first plate full of holes from a rifle, so now I take it down and toss it in the bushes when I'm done shooting. Lesson learned and it gave me the idea of shooting a hole in it to attach the wire to fix it to the gate.

Not a very fancy or pretty setup, but by God it works and has served me well, and the price (free) was right too!

Find a shop that does steel fabrication. For a couple $$ I found one who made me some hanging clangers out of scrap cutoffs he had. I traced a turkey decoy outline on to some cardboard and he used that. They work great. Mine are 1/2"
Razz

Back