• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Clay Smith kits

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drwatson1873

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm getting inspired by all the builds being shown off here, and it's going to be warm enough to work in the shop soon (I hope...). I have done a couple of rifles before from "gathered" parts and 90% pre-shaped stocks with only a barrel inlet. They turned out all right, I suppose but follow no particular example other than a generic "Poor Boy" style. Now I'm looking at kits with a little more specific styling.

Has anyone had any experience with Clay Smith's gun kits? I like the looks of his "Early Christian Springs" rifle from the finished examples, and the kit looks like fairly well-chosen parts along with better than average wood. The price is a little higher than some others, but (as has been noted by other more experienced parties here) you pretty much get what you pay for in this hobby.

Thanks in advance for sharing your insights and the inspiration thus far. This is a great forum for the dilettante in the hobby.

I just purchased this kit. I'm very pleased with what I received. The forestock is not shaped, as on some other kits, but I'm looking forward to tackling this.

I just received my first Clay Smith kit. It's his English Fowler. I am more than satisfied with the quality and value. BEAUTIFUL piece of walnut. Here's a few pics with the buttplate installed.

You could not ask for better grain. Why does it look so light in the box? photo trick or does walnut come that light?

Great floor in that room BTW!

I just wiped it with a damp cloth to bring out the grain for those 2 pictures.

I am just finishing up one of those early guns from Clay. I have been very happy with every aspect of it.

I ordered it with no lock mortise cut, and the forend left square. Just the barrel and RR channel drilled, and the butt and wrist shaped out.

Clay Smith is a MASTER smith, you can't go wrong with his stuff. Makes me want to take "gunmaker: off my resume' ...Tom

Your work ain't nothing to sneeze at! :grin: :thumbsup: I love my rifle and will be breaking it in tomorrow.

That is gonna make a Beautiful fowler. Not telling ya what to do, but in case ya don't know.... Get the front of the triggerbuard straight & the bow straight. If you have a Cast Off, the bend is just after the base on the rear of the bow.

The reason I mention this is I have seen several install the long triggerguard of a fowler on straight, on a cast off butt. :shake: This make the triggerguard offset in the middle.

So put the front of the triggerguard straight & centered, and the bow centered. Don't bend the base of the bow, bend it immediately after the rear base of the bow. And it is best to heat it & bend it as not to incur a crack or break there.

Another issue I have seen on them & some other rifles. DO NOT install the trigger unless you have the Lock Panel & the Sideplate Panel Even... from the center of the rifle.

Several times I have seen guys work the lock panel lock side down so the lock is about finished, then center & install the trigger. Not correct.

You must insure Both panels are same thickness from center of rifle when ya do the trigger o & triggerguard. If not, when finished & you turn the rifle over, the triggerguard & trigger are offset. :doh:

Now at times with a single pinned trigger I have seen the trigger off a tad, but sometimes this is not noticeable with the wide bow of a Fowler .

Keith Lisle

Back