• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning a Muzzleloader

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe they used whatever they had and what they all had was SPIT. A few patches and spit will get most of it out. In the field they just cleaned, dried and reloaded, ran a lightly oiled patch down the loaded bore then wiped the outside with it. Guns were always kept loaded was hard to find a safe time to clean an unloaded gun.
I shot at a rondevous last weekend and cleaned my guns after with spit (shotgun, rifle, smoothbore, and pistol) shot on Sat.and cleaned then recleaned on Tues. after I got back home. Only found a little BP residue at the breach. Tow probably would have removed more of this than my flannel patches.
Deadeye

quote:Originally posted by J. P. Butler:
My grandmother used to tell about her father lighting the fireplace in the morning with an old flintlock rifle.This is another way to start a fire using flint, the tinder lighters...
tinderside2.jpg

tinder2.jpg

Check out this page...
http://www.p4a.com/itemsummary/43393.htm

There's a short article in the Q&A column, page 20, of November 2003 "American Rifleman". Someone wrote in asking about soldiers cleaning their guns during the Civil War. In the answer, they show a pamphlet titled "The Rules for the Managment and Cleaning of the Rifle Musket - Model 1863 for the Use of Soldiers". Basicly they had them plug the barrel with a wood plug, dump in a gill of water, let it stand, slosh it around, dump it out and let it stand on it's muzzle to drain. Then run dry cloth on a double screw wiper up and down the bore and then oil the bore. I suppose that was all well and good, if you had those supplies handy in the field. Seems to me this pamphlet must have been published by the Union Army as a southern boy would already know how to clean a gun !
wink.gif

Quoting Smoke Pole: "Seems to me this pamphlet must have been published by the Union Army as a southern boy would already know how to clean a gun !"

Not only would he already know how to clean a gun, but each morning after breakfast he would also have known what to use a page or two of the pamphlet for!

If he was real lucky he might even have found a few more pamphlets discarded by some of the City Boys on their first day.
grin.gif

quote:Originally posted by Haggis:
Musketman,
Would those tinder lighters qualify as in-line flinters?
They sure would...
smile.gif

It's a shame they couldn't make an in-line flint under-hammer rifle...
grin.gif

That would be a tad hard on the shooter, powder burns fown the front of the person...

I'm waiting for the all in one muzzleloader, it has a percussion, flint, in-line, match, cannon and wheel lock system all in one neat tidey package...
rolleyes.gif

Oh, you're talking about the "Swiss Army Lock." It would be great but the rifle would lean hard a-starboard.

Latest posts

Back