• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning Buckskins

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musketman

Passed On
Reaction score
How do you clean your buckskins?

I lay my war shirt flat and rub corn meal (yellow or white) into it to absorb the dirt and oils, then brush and shake it off, works like a charm...

The next question would be....are we talking comercial or brain tan. Then...if brain tan...is it smoked or white??
:: :huh: :results:

No, just good old fashion comercial tanned...

Not smoked or white, just buckskin... (all I could afford at that time in my life)

The hardest part is gettin' the buck tied up so's he don't run off. Once you get's him tied up you can clean him with just about anything. Best to hose him down from a distance just in case he breaks free of the rope. :crackup:

Huntin

If yer gonna scrub 'im use a long handled brush I tinks! :crackup:

:crackup: :crackup: :what: :master:
Are you guys sure this is not a special link to Monty Python??? :crackup: :crackup: :youcrazy:

:crackup: :crackup: :what: :master:
Are you guys sure this is not a special link to Monty Python??? :crackup: :crackup: :youcrazy:

The Moderators doing a little medieval reenacting...

9-999.jpg

Now I know I got on the wrong site by accident. :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :master:

Can someone tell me where I might find the Muzzle Loader site...I seem to have made an Internet error turn?? :bull: :says:

when i used to window wash we used to clean our shammies that were made of goat skin i think with ivory liquid soap and cold water....just rub in your hands with a real good lather then just rinse out with cold water till no suds come out of your skins....i think this should work for you guys....but if you have a small sample to try first i would do that first just to play safe.....................bob

doesn't it make them mad when you get the soap in their eyes? PITA will be down there after you for Ivory soaping the PA deer!! :crackup: And arn't chamois an endangered species? you could get into big trouble for abusing them!! :crackup:

I'm lookin fer crop circles now. If Musketman is talking about cleaning his 'skins - and even taking 'em off to do it, and it ain't Spring no less - well, there's gotta be some kind o' alien switcheroo going on. The REAL Mooskeetman would be pullin new skins on over the remains of the old without exposin no flesh to the nasty elements. Check for pods under his bedroll.

Next we'll have Zonie askin fer natural tooth cleanin methods. (And I do mean "tooth", not teeth).

Waugh!

Cleaning? I never clean mine. I get stuck in the rain ocassionally and wear them dry, but that is as close as I ever got to cleaning. My pants are now about 25 years old and they are just getting to the point of looking good and lived in.

Ah shur hope when ole Mooskeetman's done he had tha decency ta put tha corn meal back in tha box.
Ye never kno whan food ul run lo an ye needs whatever ye can get yer hands on.

As fer wastin water, anyone who wood warsh his buckskins in water probobly takes baths too!
Em thangs warsh off yer essence an yer carator offen ye, so's evn yer ole dog won't kno ye whan ye walks in the door. :: ::

Back