• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning help!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny you should mention that Hoppe's makes two formulas of #9...

Years ago, when I first got into this game I did use the nitro solvent to clean my BP revolver, it worked but was quite a chore. Wasn't till I got the rifle 4 or 5 years later that a kind hearted gent in the Muzzle-loader shop in Springfield Oregon clued me in on cleaning a black Powder firearm...

Zonie said:
After reading your story I figure I should mention to the newcomers to black powder who have experience with cartridge guns, Hoppe's makes two totally different #9 solvents.

The old familiar solvent for nitro powders is about useless for cleaning a black powder rifle.
The kerosene based solvent doesn't dissolve black powder fouling at all. It does produce a nice gooey mess though.

The Hoppe's #9 that is made for black powder, says so on the label. This is the kind Kinman was writing about.

Why they called it #9 beats me. It leads to a lot of confusion when folks are talking about cleaning their black powder guns with Hoppe's #9.

Digressing a little, at one time Thompson Center made a #13 solvent and IMO they choose the name wisely.

A specific test I did using the TC #13 solvent proved to me that it will form rust in a clean bore so fast that running a dry patch in the bore immediately after swabbing it with #13 will leave rusty streaks on the once clean patch.

Zonie,

This is why I use Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine for a cleaner. I can do a "range clean" as I describe in various threads here on the forum, and a week later take the rifle apart and use warm water for a finish-up. Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine also suffers from the mix-up of regular Butch's Bore Shine, so Hoppe's #9 isn't the only confusion-causing cleaner. To the Black Powder version's credit, it contains a drying agent in the formula, so although it's water-based, it evaporates fast enough to not cause rusting, even if I wait to clean for a full week!

I highly recommend it, especially if you use Pyrodex, as it foams-up on contact with bp residue, and when the chemical reaction subsides, so does the threat level for rust to form :wink:

Dave

Excuses are like, well you know the rest of the story.

I would clean it as normal at first, then see where the bore is at. Of course have him do it as per your instructions with belt in hand!

Just for general info regarding rust. A plain white vinegar soak overnight will do a fine job of removing/loosening rust. Follow it up with a hot water wash to remove the vinegar and if necessary a little help with a brass bristle brush. May take a second soak if the rust is heavy. Then clean/oil as usual. Good to go.

A bit late to this party but let me second third and fourth Evaporust! It is absolutely freaking amazing stuff and will de-rust things that you would otherwise think impossible with minimal effort. With firearms I would suggest being cautious of any bluing though I personally haven't experienced it remove any. When working with barrels I generally plug up the bottom, fill the barrel with a funnel and let it sit.

Latest posts

Back