• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Cleaning patch question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie1105

32 Cal
Reaction score
Howdy all,

Does anyone have recommendations for patches for cleaning a .45 cal rifle? I've traditionally used some basic Hoppes shotgun cleaning patches for my .50 and .58 cal rifles and never had any issues with them. I tried using them to clean the .45 with a normal .45 cal loading/cleaning jag and I ended up having to have someone hold the rifle so I could pull the ramrod and patch out. I'm guessing it's an issue of the patches being too thick? If so, are there patches you recommend?

Also, the gun did not have fouling and had been cleaned before storage. Just took it out for routine cleaning alongside some other guns.

I buy "ends" of cotton flannel material rolls at Walmart or JoAnn fabrics, and cut them in various sizes for my 3 calibers of rifles.
Do you use the same thickness material for them all? Trying to figure out if I need to change the thickness of the material or just use a smaller size patch

Howdy all,

Does anyone have recommendations for patches for cleaning a .45 cal rifle? I've traditionally used some basic Hoppes shotgun cleaning patches for my .50 and .58 cal rifles and never had any issues with them. I tried using them to clean the .45 with a normal .45 cal loading/cleaning jag and I ended up having to have someone hold the rifle so I could pull the ramrod and patch out. I'm guessing it's an issue of the patches being too thick? If so, are there patches you recommend?

Also, the gun did not have fouling and had been cleaned before storage. Just took it out for routine cleaning alongside some other guns.

I believe there is a big advantage getting larger quantities of cotton patch material and the resulting consistency you get. Problem I find with odd rags and t-shirts is they vary in thickness from piece to piece, some being a tight fit on your jag, others being loose. Not a big deal, but still a bit of a PIA. I find old high thread count bed sheets will provide a nice quantity of consistent material, or you can spend the big bucks ($1-$2 per yard by 56”- 60” wide) on close out cotton flannel, or better yet if you can find it, cotton flannelette. A yard of 60” wide material will give you nearly 240 3” square patches. That less than a penny a patch if you can find it for $2 per yard. Might end up with some unique colors and patterns on close out, but who cares.

Once you have a quality of cleaning patch material, figure out a patch and jag size. This may mean modifying your jag. Difficult to figure one out without the other. For my use, I take the old high count cotton bed sheets mentioned above and tear them into strips (once you figure out the knit pattern you can consistently tear any width strip you want), typically 1-1/2”, 2”, 3” and 4”, plus any other sizes I may need. I then mark and cut strips to make square patches and fill one or two clear plastic containers with each size (I believe I am using old 2lb or 3lb rice containers). This gives me an easily visual of my patch inventory. As a FYI, I find that I mostly use 2”x2” followed by 3”x3” patches for most bore cleaning. With a proper jag, a 2”x2” patch can work for me from 45 to 58 caliber. What you use will depend on your jag and patch material thickness. For field use I carry strips of cleaning patch material with notches in it to allow me to easily tear a square patch off the strip (I do the same thing with my roundball shooting patch material for those times I don’t cut at the muzzle) in an attempt to keep things simple, though I must admit, this rambling post likely makes things sound complicated.

Some will suggest using whatever you have. Guess that can work for cleaning and roundball patch material, just don’t get upset when things are too loose or too tight as you randomly use old t-shirts, skivvies, rags or whatever and things don’t work out.

Do you use the same thickness material for them all? Trying to figure out if I need to change the thickness of the material or just use a smaller size patch
Yes, same thickness. I cut cleaning patches while watching TV and put them in different boxes by size. About 3/8" square for smallbore (.17-22 cal), 1/2" or so for .32 flinter (and .243-250); around 3/4" for my .45 flint (and .270-308), about 1" for .50 cal Hawken. Just choose a larger patch (not all in the size box will be identical) for a tighter fit. Cut 'em bigger or smaller as experience (or new guns like .62) dictate.

Your patch is probably too big and binding between ramrod and wall of the bore. A smaller diameter or square will probably work better. Or try a smaller diameter cleaning rod.

I use a 2" round patch in 45, 2.5" in 50-54 and 3" for larger calibers.

Agree with Broomstick - I use 2 in or 2.5 in pre-cut cleaning patches and a tapered jag. I find that the short button jags can cause the issue you explained. You can get a tapered jag from Track - Wolf...and other places ... I have several and sometimes use a .45 jag on my 50's.

Yes, same thickness. I cut cleaning patches while watching TV and put them in different boxes by size. About 3/8" square for smallbore (.17-22 cal), 1/2" or so for .32 flinter (and .243-250); around 3/4" for my .45 flint (and .270-308), about 1" for .50 cal Hawken. Just choose a larger patch (not all in the size box will be identical) for a tighter fit. Cut 'em bigger or smaller as experience (or new guns like .62) dictate.
Much appreciated! Thank you to all for the advice

Also be sure the bore and or patch isn’t dry as popcorn. It needs some sort of slickness to reverse.
That was definitely part of the problem. I ran a dry patch down it to see if there was old oil/grease left in it. Thanks for the tip

i have found that remnants of fleece at the typical stores for cleaning works for me I cut it into approx 1 1/2" squares fits all of my guns 45 - 58 great never lose a patch and is thick enough to really get into the rifling grooves for the less then 45 cals I just cut the patch in half or quarters and $4-5 worth goes a long way

Latest posts

Back