• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oval Bolt Stops

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round and oval bolt stops.

That reminds me; I have to get these bad boys out to the range again soon...

20240818_125013.jpg
20240818_125002.jpg
20240818_125023.jpg

B P ARN, the bolt stops on your Walker are an elongated oval, looks kinda rectangular with rounded ends. If you look at DGW website under antique handguns in the Colt section, they have a Baby Dragoon with oval bolt stops. They are almost perfectly round, unless they have been deformed over the years. I did read somewhere before I purchased my Ubertis that Uberti did not make a true oval on their earlier model Colts, but beginning with their 2d Model Dragoon they are rectangular. The pictures in Flaydermans are too small for me to tell. The Patterson in your picture looks more like a true oval.

B P ARN, the bolt stops on your Walker are an elongated oval, looks kinda rectangular with rounded ends. If you look at DGW website under antique handguns in the Colt section, they have a Baby Dragoon with oval bolt stops. They are almost perfectly round, unless they have been deformed over the years. I did read somewhere before I purchased my Ubertis that Uberti did not make a true oval on their earlier model Colts, but beginning with their 2d Model Dragoon they are rectangular. The pictures in Flaydermans are too small for me to tell. The Patterson in your picture looks more like a true oval.
I had to look this up for my own information. The shape of a Walker bolt notch is not a true oval but rather a Geometric Stadium, a rectangle with radius-ed ends.

I had to look this up for my own information. The shape of a Walker bolt notch is not a true oval but rather a Geometric Stadium, a rectangle with radius-ed ends.

Well I'll be!! Yer right on that. Never paid that much attention to the early Colt notches that they are called ovals, but arenot true ones. Looked up and read the true geometric definitions of an oval and what constitutes a 'stadium shape (geometric stadium shape). Brought back alot of terms and memories from high school and college geometry, toss in some law enforcement traffic accident investigation training reading all the info and terms. Now every time I look at any of my early Colts or see pictures of like models I'll think of this thread. Thank you M. De for educating us on this. :) CC

Well I'll be!! Yer right on that. Never paid that much attention to the early Colt notches that they are called ovals, but arenot true ones. Looked up and read the true geometric definitions of an oval and what constitutes a 'stadium shape (geometric stadium shape). Brought back alot of terms and memories from high school and college geometry, toss in some law enforcement traffic accident investigation training reading all the info and terms. Now every time I look at any of my early Colts or see pictures of like models I'll think of this thread. Thank you M. De for educating us on this. :) CC
A bit of gun trivia I thought interesting to know, sort of like the difference between pistol and revolver and end shake from barrel cylinder gap,
terms we often use interchangeably but are not actually the same.

Latest posts

Back